Marmet Locks - Does anyone fish this area?

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by hunterhnc20, Apr 8, 2009.

1. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I usually caught all my bait (shad & skipjack) at the Winfield Locks but they are putting in a handicap access there and it will be closed until late June. I was wondering if anyone fishes at the Marmet Locks and if so is there alot of bait that runs up in there. I need so bait but I don't want to drive a hour one way and nothing.

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    The bait is hit or miss at Marmet.Its over fished by morons who keep every thing and I mean everything they catch.The same idiots will net shad by the dozens and cut the guts out and leave the rest laying around to rot.

I have all but quit going down there.

I will tell you of a couple places to check for shad,near the water treatment plant on both sides of Patrick Street.Or around most of the water treatment plants and storm run-off drains.

If you do go to Marmet try along the rocks down the side of the river bank.Skipjacks can be gotten sometimes along the big wall below the locks.

If your real serious and want some good chubs or sunfish let me know I have a couple awesome places I will share.

3. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Thanks Jerry, it seems there are idots at all the locks. Some of people that come to the Winfield locks you just try and wonder where did this people come from and what are they doing down here but whatever. Thanks for the offer on creek chubs and sunfish but I got that covered. Although its getting harder to caught some good chubs. Most I catch are from 4" to 6" long. I like the big ones.

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I will try to keep guys posted when I find big schools of shad or skipjacks.

So far the mouth of Campbells creek is the only place but you need a fast sinking net and let it hit bottom.