Marlin 22 cal. model 60

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Katfish Kern, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I'm looking at a marlin 22 cal. model 60 with a BSA scope at a local pawn shop. The owner says he will let it go for 200 cash. Is this a good deal, or should I go out and buy a new one?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Personally, I wouldn't pay that for it. A Model 60 is one of the least expensive, and certainly the most popular .22s ever made. Unless it's stainless, and you just really, really gotta have that scope, I can't see it being worth near that much.

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    no its not worth it bsa scopes are really cheapand the gun i bought one a few years back for 109.00 bucks brand new they are cheap guns

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Those marlin 60 are great little 22's but a used one at that price is a BAD deal you can buy it new for a cheaper price with a scope on sale!

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i wouldent give 50cents for a model 60. ive got one and that thing is junk. maybe i just got a bad one but i dont know. sucker jams every other shot.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Donnie you either need to break that gun down and clean it good or the ammunition your using is not good for that gun. Some guns don't do as good as others with certain ammunition. If you clean the gun real good and it still does it then I would start trying different ammunition.

I had one of those guns years ago. It did real good. I put a 4x32 scope on it and I could hit little paper pecans at 60yds with it off the top of wine bottles without hitting glass. Those guns may be inexpensive but you gotta spend some for good ammo if you want them to shoot and operate well. I used the CCI stingers through mine and never had a problem with the gun.

I could kick myself for selling it tho.

7. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    been tore down 2 times and cleaned several times. had a slug get stuck in the barrel and anothershell went off in it while we were trying to get it out. finally got the 2 slugs out and they were stuck together. it was pretty bad i got rid of that gun.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think thats too steep for that model,Like thr others say,You can buy new for less than that.

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I bought my #60 .........years ago i can and have shot over 500 round's thur that gun in a day with out a jam ...BUT I DONT BUY CHEAP lead to shoot THRU IT EITHER i shoot only high speed witha copper jacket ..And am not saying you buy cheap ammo ..But give it another try you might be surprised buy the quality of that gun!!!!!!!

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Be careful buying any thing from a pawn shop. Its not uncommon for them to sell used above new price. I like buying from gun shows when I can just research what you want before you go. You might want to check some of the online gun auction sites to compare prices on any guns your interested in. $200 sounds a bit steep unless like Kat in the hat said its stainless.

11. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    One of the first guns I owned as a kid was a model 60. I still own it and it still shoots good. But, I agree with everyone else about $200.00 being a little steep for a used model 60.

12. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas

Yeah I'd say you were using ammo that was no good for that gun. I only use jacketed ammo. Bare lead bullets will mar up a barrel something fierce. They get so hot going down the barrel that they start to melt before they exit and they leave lead traces all down the inside of the barrel and they aren't as accurate either.

If you have a gun with a rifled barrel and you shoot bare lead bullets thru it they will fill up the grooves with lead and you won't get the rifling transfer to your bullets and the gun won't shoot accurate.

Some guns will handle the bare lead bullets okay but you still have to keep the lead cleaned out of the barrel and not let it build up in it or you will start to have problems shooting with that gun. That's why I always buy jacketed bullets for 22's. I think that CCI puts out the best .22 ammunition on the market today.

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I've had my for years. Never had any problems with it jamming. A few thousand rounds shot thru it. $200 is to much for it. Mine new was about $100. I know the prices of guns have gone up but i wouldn't give that much for a new one let alone a used one.

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree, you can buy a new rugar 10/22 for less $$$ and it won't jam up on ya either. Sounds like the pawn shop guy is a hoseman delux.:confused2:

15. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I on the same page, the Ruger 10/22, or the Remingtion 597 are cheaper.
    And you should be able to get a Marlin 60 for much less.
    And the Marlins are fine lil guns. Had em at both family farms. I always liked a tube fed 22, as you don't have to worry bout losing the clip.
    Wouldn't hesitate on your choice, just the price.
    :big_smile:

16. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    REAL MEN SHOOT WINCHESTERS!!! LOL jk jk i got a marlin bolt action .22 and i got a marlin .30-30 that was bought at a pawn shop and its about junk. i would take a winchester over a marlin anyday but thats just my opinion.

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS unload a firearm before attempting to clear a jam. that is step one!!! if someone had been in the path of the next bullet, if it had come out, you could have a tragic and avoidable story instead of a disliked rifle...

you gotta love marlin's micro grooved barrels. i do anyway. i have two of those model 60's. i have killed over 1,000 p dogs and jack rabbits with them, and i don't know how many quail, squirrels and cottontails. a couple hogs too. one of them wouldn't fire without a fully loaded magazine. i unloaded it, broke it down and found a broke firing pin. the breechbolt in the 60 is in a groove and even a broken pin will be under enough pressure to fire. if your gun is still messing up take it to a gunsmith. most gunsmiths won't charge you anything to diagnose a problem without working on it, and should give you an estimate.

to answer the original question, $200.00 is way too much for one of these rifles!

18. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I bought mine 25 years ago for $69. Really accurate guns for being so cheap. That price sounds too high to me also and bsa scopes are cheap, I'd shop around more.

Mine is finicy with certain ammos and it will jam often. Mine does not like the cci mini mags at all but the SGBs with the non coated lead bullets work great, very rarley ever jams with them. Keeping the action and chamber nice and clean helps too.

19. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    get you a remington 552 its one great rifle

20. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks for all the help fellas, it is a stainless gun. But I think I will keep looking.