Markland

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by JustinM, Sep 27, 2009.

1. JustinM

JustinM New Member

State:
    Indiana
  2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A miter gate in the big chamber broke. The army corp. believes they have everything under control. all barge traffic will have to use the small chamber. causing long delays because tows will have to be cut in half. The river levels wont be affected as long as the miter gate on the other side does not break due to the pressure. They have stated that the threat for it breaking is high. But thats just precautionary. But other than that everything should be ok. And your fishing shouldnt be affected any. just be careful if you are fishing down below the dam. if the water levels start to increase drastically get the hell off the water. same thing if you are above. if the current starts to pick up and the water drops. get off! just everyone be safe. and after about 15 million dollars they will have it fixed.

Oh yeah i know this because my ole man is a barge captain and the fleet he is in charge of is the last fleet of barges before markland dam. And he was notified of this when it happened. And everything I have told you came straight from the lock master at markland.

3. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Steve,

I understand that if you are below the dam you need to run, but why above the dam?

4. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If a dam breaks the current on both ends will drastically increase. and say that you are anchored, the current can pick up to the point of dragging your boat under water, not to mention the water levels dropping so low that you cant get off of the water.

5. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Appreciate the explanation.

While back I was fishing the mouth of the Licking in Newport. You mentioned you worked on a barge in that area awhile back. I couldn't believe how the guy had to manage the barge going up Licking.

Thanks again for the info.

Bill

6. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    They do a lot of work setting up for the run up the licking, thats for sure.

7. Beacher

Beacher New Member

State:
    indiana
    looks like from the pictures on the news it was one of the lower doors that fell off so hopefully they have it under control. Good thing the upper doors didn't break off man that would have been a mess it might have wiped Madison off the map!

8. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana

oh your definately welcome. and i am willing to bet u saw the mac mcginnis shoving a red tank barge up in there going to latonia. that was always my most favorite trip when i worked there. yeah its a hassel getting those barges in there. whats even a bigger hassel is after your in there and gotta get the empty is trying to flip it around in that river. :smile2: