Markland?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by JustinM, Sep 27, 2009.

1. JustinM

JustinM New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anyone else hear that the gates at the markland lock have actually fallen in the river and most barge traffic on the Ohio will be stopped? I wonder how much that changes things down here for usÂ…

2. JustinM

JustinM New Member

State:
    Indiana

3. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A miter gate in the big chamber broke. The army corp. believes they have everything under control. all barge traffic will have to use the small chamber. causing long delays because tows will have to be cut in half. The river levels wont be affected as long as the miter gate on the other side does not break due to the pressure. They have stated that the threat for it breaking is high. But thats just precautionary. But other than that everything should be ok. And your fishing shouldnt be affected any. just be careful if you are fishing down below the dam. if the water levels start to increase drastically get the hell off the water. same thing if you are above. if the current starts to pick up and the water drops. get off! just everyone be safe. and after about 15 million dollars they will have it fixed.

Oh yeah i know this because my ole man is a barge captain and the fleet he is in charge of is the last fleet of barges before markland dam. And he was notified of this when it happened. And everything I have told you came straight from the lock master at markland.

4. newburghcatfish

newburghcatfish New Member

State:
    Newburgh Indiana
    Current was real strong at Newburgh Dam on sunday, I couldn't get my anchor to hold anywhere so I headed down river. The Green river also had a very strong current with to many trees floating down to fish.

5. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Me and my brother was fishin the cloverport/rocky point area yesterday and and we started off at 7 am, driftin was around .6-.7. I quess around 10am it picked up around 1.7-1.8, usually at that speed the line angle is behind the boat. But the current down low must have been flying cause the boat was 1.7 and the lines were way out in front of us.

6. JustinM

JustinM New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Newburgh is up 2' from last night. 6oz sinker wouldn't hit bottom it suspended at about a 45 degree angle. I packed it in and went home quickly after that. 100 thrust trolling motor at the end of the lock and I was losing ground. Guess it's up to bluegrass to catch a crap ton of channels for a few days.

7. perrycounty.in

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah cannelton has a 24 hr change of +4' below the damn. And newburgh is showing a +4.5

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  8. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That must be the normaly rise with the rains we've had because markland pool is still holding the same level and is dropping at the same rate it was before the break.

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Those of you who have locked through a lock on the ohio....do you know those big gates that open up to let your boat in? and the big gates on the other side that open to let you out? those are the gates that had a break. and one fell.....so even when the one broke, theres still the gate closed on the other side to hold back all of the water. They just cant use that chamber for barges to go through.... the river levels ARE NOT affected due to this happening. so anything down river going on is just from mother nature

10. perrycounty.in

State:
    Indiana

You are correct Steve!!!

I did have a dream last night with the bardge traffic slowed that all my good holes had bardges parked on top of them and they told me the only way to fish was to fish off the bardges. :smile2::smile2: So i spent all night in bed running from bardge to bardge checkin my poles. :eek:oooh: Im pretty wore out this morning, what a night. Stupid but true!!:cool2:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  11. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i know!!!!!!!!! i just got like 8 msgs in a row in my inbox from people saying that markland is draining out and everything down below was gonna go high. and it wasnt the case and i didnt feel like copy paste and typeing it a million times

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was always spooked inside there.... a gate would break and every boat in there would be flushed like a bunch of turds :crazy:

13. perrycounty.in

State:
    Indiana

My wife called just now and said i was grabbin her leg all night :smile2::smile2::smile2:

14. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thats one of the purposes of that all elusive red line that everyone loves to cross. that line is there so just in case a break like that does happen, u might have a little time to react. because hopefully the gate would break slowly like u see it start to fall and gives u some time to get away.

15. Beacher

Beacher New Member

State:
    indiana
    could you imagine if a gate broke by the time you come to relaize what happened you would be in louisville!!!!!!:confused2::confused2:

16. JustinM

JustinM New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That would actually fit well around Evansville, since the whe city flushes turds into the river.

17. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol beacher! :smile2: Something tells me that if one of the gates actually broke then u wouldnt be able to live through it to tell others!

18. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    Lets just hope the other gate holds on until they get everything fixed. There would be some crazy water level changes that would make a major impact on the fishing and the power plants.

19. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    no chit, not to mention any fish that get hung out and killed.

20. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I highly doubt the other gate will break as well. what happened was just a freak of an accident. and it was the upper gate that broke so the other gate if anything would just be pushed open. so i wouldnt worry too much guys.