Markland Dam

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Shad Man, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Has anyone being doing any good at Markland Dam? Me and two of my friends are heading down to the Indiana State Trappers Convention on Saturday at Greensburg and were going to fish the dam area Saturday night. I was down there a month ago and the blues were MIA. Just wondering if they were back up in the hydros. Also does anyone have a Skippy report? A month ago they were easy to catch but I have a felling we are going to work for our bait this time.

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Was there around the 30th last month. We caught 13 flatties, 4 channels and 4 Blues. We spent more time trying to catch skips then anything else... it was tough, and we didnt get many, 95% of the skips we did manage to get were dinks... I think 2 or 3 of the blue's caught were by the hydro's.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bait is scarce, and so are the big blues,water needs to cool down !

4. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Yeah It sounds like we are going to have our work cut out for us. I checked the gauge station and the river peaked last night about midnight. It fell a foot and a half above Cinnci in the last day so with all that said I am sure its going to be hard fishing.

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey justin if you get down right before dark to the dam. you will not have a problem catching some juvenile skipjacks up by the wall by the bridge pillar. And if you go past rising sun on your way down from greensburg, stop in at arnolds creek below rising sun on 56 andget shad out of that creek. or try bryants creek down below patriot it sometimes holds tons of shad.

6. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks Flootie 16

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey justin i actually just went down to the dam a little bit ago and threw my sabiki rig around a bit just to kill an hour and caught about two dozen little skips about 4-7 inches big. so they are there. just have to search. there is also a road right down the dam called markland pike that has a creek on it that you can get a lot of warmouth out of. just turn on to the pike and take left on the next road and theres a bridge there to throw off of.

8. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks a million Flottie 16. I will update sunday on the catch

9. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    Got me tons of shad in the cove across from craigs creek ITs the cove with the river boat in it. Skip is there and my good friend caught a 45 a34 and a 24 there on friday behind the rock.

10. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Well the fishing was slow. We got some drum, 1 gar, 2 channels, and three sauger (we gave up on catfish by this time). I did see a blue boat land a nice 20-30 pounder (blue). Too bad it wasn't in my boat!!!! The water temp was between 76-77 the entire weekend. It needs to cool down and they need to open the tainer gates!!!!!

11. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i woke up saturday morning at 6 cuz the baby woke up and the wife layed on the couch and i couldnt go back to sleep so i grabbed the sabiki rig and went down to the dam around 730 and caught 131 small skips to go in the freezer in about 2 hours. i saw one boat catfishing, a little jon boat. when i was leaving i saw them land what appeared to be a nice 20 lb blue. they were fishing about 150 yards down from the shad wall in the current from the generated water right on the edge of the current break. thats the only fish i saw caught while i was there. I was going to go down there saturday night for some catfishing but it appears i am glad i didnt do so. better luck next time justin. If we ever get some rain and they open some gates and the the water cools down a bit, the blues will be back on. but until then its slim pickens.

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man guys... forget the blues.... whats wrong with monster flatheads? LOL.
    If I lived as close as you do steve, I'd be a serious threat to the the state record flattie... I promise you that:wink:

13. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah i said that too a few years back and the biggest i could ever seem to land was a 48 lb flattie. And then i hooked into a 65 lb blue and well i guess you could say he gave me the blues. For about three summers straight I fished almost every night and quite often throughout the year. BUt over the last year or so I have slowed down my fishing to where I only go out every now and then. I actually decided to put my wife and children first and try to stay home more often than I used to with them. However, when my girls get old enough to be in school and then even older to where I dont have to watch them any more, you can bet you will see me every other day out on the water. And speaking of that I might have to go out later this week just in search of a monster flattie. Ill decide the day of since I can just look outside and see the river and have a boat ramp less than a mile from me :smile2:

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yep, I sure know exactly what your sayin' about the family stuff... I chilled out my fishin' alot when my boys we're born too... NOW though, while still too young and impatient to go out at night and fish the river with me, they do grab poles and help me catch bait... and they always stagger out of bed and into the living room in the middle of the night to hear my fish stories when I get home!

15. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    Going down to the damn friday to get bait then im catchin me some biggin :roll_eyes: I hope footie look me up be in a jet boat in the hydros bet u money we fished alot together down there :smile2:

16. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah i do go down there quite often. I prefer going down and catching skips just off the bank. And every once in a while, when I get more than two hours free, then i get the boat out and try to tear them up. im free for a bit ill come down and catch some bait and watch you reel in some hogs. :crazy:

17. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    Me and my buddy are heading down there saturday afternoon. Whats the water temp right now? Anyone know if bryants creek is holding any shad right now? Where do ya catch the skipps at the markland dam? Im new to skipps and have always used gizzerd shad. Ive got plent of sabiki rigs that ive never used just need to know where to catch the skipps.

18. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Ryan Bryants is hit and miss with shad right now. they are either real stacked up or slim pickens. however skips right now early in the morning are plentiful below the dam. just go on the indiana side in the real turbulant water. if by boat you will see a wall that extends down from the dam, throw out around that. if you are on the bank, walk towards the dam and when you get to where there is a pillar out in the water, throw out that way. the skips arent all that big but there are tons.

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hmm, wonder how Blazerjet and ironcat are doin' right now... I'll see If Ben will answer his phone...........

20. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Bill I have tried replying to your messege but it says:
    1. drpepper has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove drpepper from the recipient list and send the message again.
    And on a better note, went below the dam this morning off the bank to catch skips, i took one cat pole with me to goof off and caught two blues that were both about 15 lbs while i was catching bait. So i am kinda hoping that maybe its a sign that the fish are maybe going to turn back on. Oh yeah I once again caught tons and tons of small skips. maybe five big ones. so im hoping the big skips are moving in as well....SOrry no pics of the cats, wasnt planning on catching one