Markland dam

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by rmoran171, Aug 1, 2008.

1. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    Has anyone fished ar ar around the Markland dam lately? Im headin there tommarow and was wondering how the fishin was there. I was also wonndering if it would to be better to fish the pool side or down river. Where is the closest ramp on the pool side in indiana? How are the blues biteing if at all? Any info would be very appreciated

2. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    I havent fished there in a while due to being out of town the last 4 weeks for business, but I would fish below the dam in the tailrace this time of year with low water levels and low current. The closest ramp to the dam is on the KY side at Craigs Creek. You can lock through and be on the downside of the dam. If you dont want to lock through, launch at Vevay and go upstream.

3. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    We ended up launching at Bryants creek first and fished up river from the dam for a few hours and never did mark anything let alone catch anything. So later in the evening we loaded up and drove down to vevay and went back up to the damn and marked a few fish. We decided to drop anchor and fish the current because drifting seemed impossiable with the constant change in depth. They had only two of the gates open on the dam.
    We ended up landing a 13, 18, 38, 41,. All and all it was a very productive night for blues in august in my opinion.

4. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    great job i was going to go there this weekend. I love them hot water blues at the dam always have a good time there in aug or at pool. Any jacks running or white bass ???? I will be there the rest of the summer look for me in the hydros macking blues :wink:

5. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
  6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the catch guys, that sounds like a fun night.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The only place is the lower pool,Blues have been on and off. Put in at Vevay and run up river 6 miles,be CAREFUL DNR is enforceing the red line law ! GoodLuck & Be SAFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have been down there twice in the past couple days. The white bass are running pretty good. There are alot of skipjack in the area but they are hard to catch. I had my best luck using white curly tails. I averaged about 5-6 skipjack an hour. So enough to get to fish with, but not enough to fill a freezer.

Also, there is a private ramp right downriver from the dam. They charge 5 bucks to launch but they are really close to the dam. With gas prices we launched there and didn't drive up from vevay.

9. Catman_Chuck

Catman_Chuck New Member

State:
    Yep i put in at that ramp. Little campground. Be carefull that concrete at the bottom can be unforgiving. I havent dont that well at Markland this year. Some small shovels and some channels but im blueless this year.

10. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I was planning on heading down there this weekend. Does anyone know where I can cast net some shad around the dam area?

11. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    I lock thur and get my shad up river in the cove with the river boat. If u got a ky lis try all around the docks at smugglers cove. Or if no dnr around i have use my dip net on the shad wall and came up with some monster shad. But i think old skip will be down there to hell fish for him awhile.

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you are comming to the dam by going through indiana, stop at one of the creeks on the way down, like arnolds goose or bryants creeks. you shouldnt have a problem throwing your net from the ramp and getting a lot of shad. and if you go to arnolds it has a dock in the creek so you get more options to throw.

13. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks for the shad spots. I will post a reply on Sunday about how my trip went.

14. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Well Friday night produced two small flattys and about 20 nice channels but no blues.

15. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    IM going to the markland area friday i will post when i get back

16. doggonelucky76@insig

doggonelucky76@insig New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hello we are wanting to go fishing at mark;and dam but never been there is ther any good places to fish from the bank and whats beening caught we live a hour and a half away just wanting to try a different spot

17. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Brian, welcome to the BOC.

BIGCAT GarryEads

18. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    if you are on the bank fish from the indiana side. there is a park there you can park at. just walk down the steps and pick a spot. the bite has been real spotty. some people not getting a single bite and others catching nice fish. it just depends on how lucky you are i guess. and welcome to the BOC