Markland Dam Question

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by tbull, Apr 14, 2009.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey guys, I was thinking of running down to fish Markland, I wasn't sure if it was the same as it is here in Ohio. Can you get close to the Dam there? Here in Ohio they have bouys that keep you 300 freakin yards away..Thanks guys:wink:

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    300 yards sounds close enough for me unless I was in a barge then I might not mind getting a little closer. most of the boats I see behind cannelton realy dont have no place being behind there in the first place. I dont know about markland to help with your question. but cannelton is marked but a whole lot of people pay no attention to the marks either.

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    yes they keep you back a certain distance and I have heard of guys being ticketed for breaking the rules. However right now would be a terrible time to go due to high water on the river, they are running quite a few turbines. Good luck and post the results

Bill

4. jogle1023

jogle1023 New Member

State:
    Shepherdsville
    Ky laws states you must remain 300 to 500yards away from any and all locks.

5. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :0a28: "Dam"!!!! I did not know that. Alot of my fishing videos have the boats right upon the dam and they are catching monsters. Ever dam fish in the river it seems heads up that way sometime during the year and gorge themselves. It talks about how dangerous they are but they cover the ins and outs to fishing them to be safe. Lord i've dreamed about fishing them :dribble:...That really really sucks to here that.:0a4:

6. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    you can get up to the red line which is about 150' at markland just don't go past it. lockmaster will blow the horn. wear a jacket. I never hear of anybody drowning that had a jacket on. The doors are rushing right now wouldn't want to get that close. Just use good judgement you'll know when it feels right to be at the red line

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I would imagine if you had a life jacket on even if you were thrown into the turbulent outflow you would still pop out like a piece of driftwood....:smile2:

8. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Travis,
    there is a red line marked on the wall that you are not suposed to anchor above. Ive been told told you can fish above it just not while anchored. Ive fished on it it several times and feel that is plenty close. Now would not be a good time to go. The water is way up below the dam and you could never anchor an hold right now anyway. Even if you did you would be wasting your time. Ross

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks guys, trust me I am no idiot, the question was more for pool conditions. I have just seen alot of videos of guys fishing right up on the wall. And the one time we were able to do it here at Meldhal without getting horned out we caught over 300lbs of blue cats in 3 hours. I just wan't sure if the laws were any different in Ky. We went down to Louisville instead yesterday and fished around that dam in downtown, did pretty well at first then nothing. Thanks for all the input back guys I really appreciate it.:wink: