Markland Dam blue catfish

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Shad Man, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Has anyone been seeing any blues down at Markland yet? I know flottie 16 said he caught some a few days ago. Also as the weather cools down when is the best time to fish for the blues at the dam. Is it at night, during the day or the dawn and dusk hours? I figured that it would be pretty cold out on my boat in November at 2 in the morning!!

2. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    went there last weekend and it was slow. I would at least wait until the current was moving good.We had a 24pound and a 15 pounder. Buddy went by himself with us in his boat and caught a 24 also and a few small ones.He did catch a nice 34# flattie by the barges. We enden up going to madison power house for the bigger skips they were hard to catch also. I was pretty dissapointed because we usually do real well down there.We did tear the white bass up.We slept on the boat between door 6 and 7 and ended up catching gar that night no blues. We were catching gar in 60 feet of water. My next trip will be down to leavenworth!

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the report Ironcat, sounds like some good fishing

4. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks for the info. Where is the madison power plant in relation to markland dam? Is it the powerplant about three miles downstream of the dam on the KY side?

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Justin madison power plant is close to thirty miles below the dam on the indiana side. its called clifty power. the power plant you are thinking of is kentucky utilities ghent power plant. bait there is hard to find. and if it were novemeber i would fish the daytime, not at 2 am. for one its not as cold and two the bite is normally good enough to do so. but i wouldnt plan a trip down here until there is some good rains that can get some of the gates open and stay open for a while

6. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You guys might be waiting a while on rain, the weather has been nothing but a tease lately.

Steve, if fish didn't love fish then there would be no baby fish. duh.

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    you know i have made over 200 posts on this website and you are the first person to ever try and answer that question. And even thought there is no running water, this colder weather might just turn the blues on even though the water isnt cooperating

8. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks for the info. I renewed my boat and trailer license two weeks ago back in Ohio so come Hell or High Water I will catch a Blue before 2009 on the Ohio.

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Justin come down to the dam in late november. the action is normally really good then. the blues seem to always be biting good that time of year

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Remember guys just because there is a lack of rain and current doesn't mean you can't slam blues...Try drifting, if there is no current and anchoring up isnt working, drifting will usually cause them blues to put the feed bag on. Its worth a shot atleast, its been the same for me up here in Cincinnati. We slayed some blues the other night, but we were lucky because the dam was procuding some current going up river, I guess it was counteracting with the high out flow from the dam.

11. Capt.mike jr

Capt.mike jr New Member

State:
    ohio
    GOTTA LOVE THE GAR

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    my buddies from work and i about a month ago were down there fishing off the bank and werent getting nothing and it was around 11 at night and we saw the gar hitting the surface about thirty feet off the bank so we took our poles with sabiki rigs and put white curly tails on instead and started fishing for gar and burnt them up. needless to say the gar we caught didnt make it back to the water tho. :angry:

13. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    thanks for the info flootie, so nov. is the best? i have done a heck of alot of cat fishin, but havent caught a blue yet, i would like to go down when the fishin is best for blues, was planning on a two day trip, have bait will travel.:big_smile:

14. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I will stop catfishing in the month of november normally for shotgun deer season. as soon as my season is done, im back on the water. and yeah normally around that time is some of the best bluecat fishing there i think personally. i do a lot of good then anyways. and if you are wanting a two day trip there are plenty of places to stay. hell camp in my backyard if ya want lol.

15. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    sounds like a good deal steve, thanks for the offer, i would luv to get into some of them blues, im on a mission now.

16. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah thats no problem. im about to start a new job before long and it should put me home every weekend. which means more fishing for me. and means ill normally be free for anyone who wants to go out on the weekends :roll_eyes:

17. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    do you fish from the bank or boat

18. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    hey harley, i fish from boat most the time unless im getting bait, i gota nice set up, just tryin to turn it blue:big_smile:

19. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i skipjack fish off the bank when im just getting bait. when i catfish, i use one of two boats, depending on where im fishing and who with