marking your catfishing trotline - trotline identification

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dinkbuster1, Dec 15, 2005.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    in ohio you must have the owners name and address on trotlines. anyone have any suggestions on how to i.d. a trotline? im tryin to stay legal with them. thought about using those dog i.d's you buy at wallyworld.

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    that sounds like what i would do for a more permenit type of ID marker. i only use jugs an i have masking tape an wrote on with perm marker but tape does fall off now an then. but i usualy only jug 2 or 3 times a year. an game laws are the same here you have to have name ,address, an phone #

3. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Write your information on paper and have it laminated. You can put several on a single page of laminate and leave plenty of room between. Once sealed just take a pair of sissors and seperate. Then it's water proof and all ya need to do is punch a hole in the extra laminate area to tie a string through to your trotline or dropline.

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    their are a few ways you can do it go to a army surplus store and have them make you dog tags with name address phone number and you fishing permit # or you could take a soda bottle and write all the info on it and tie it to your trot line

these are alot cheaper than using those machines you find at wally world or pet stores just my 2 cents

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Dinkbuster1, I have taken plastic, such as a soda bottle, milk jug, etc. and written the info on it with a permanent marker. This makes good tags for anything and will last a long time. Vern

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks guys for all the ideas. i really liked the laminate and dog tag ideas. i'll be calling around to all the army surplus stores tomorrow. i didnt know you could get custom dog tags.

7. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like the idea of the dog tags as well if they're not too expensive.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    You could always use the tags they put on luggage when you travel, your info would just slide into the side. But the laminated suggestion does sound best. Could always use the flourescent colored plastic that comes on small roles, I have seen hunters use it to mark their hunting area or where a tree stand is. Could use a sharpy to write your info on it, plus it would make finding your trotline easy to find which could be both good and bad.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Take a milk Jug, Cut it in the size you need( i use a piece about 1"X3" )Then write your name with a hot nail or screw driver , Then fill in with a marker.
    Also poke a hole in kboth ends and place the line in one side across the back then in the hole in the other end.

Also I use Green sprite 20oz drink bottles for my marker jugs on my jumper line. Hard to find. but if you know where they are easy for you. Write my name and address on the piece of paper and stick in the bottle. Then screw the lid back on.

Pete

10. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I type or write my information on a small piece of paper. Then I take packing tape and cut a piece twice the lenth I need. then I just fold the tape over the line with the info paper inside. Works great for me.

11. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    I am told you can purchase trotline markers at Academy. You can also cut tags from white plastic bleach bottles and use a black magic marker.

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i like Jesse168's idea with the lamination... only problem is that water leaks in along the edges whether you like it or not... could always get a can of waterproofing solution (like that used for decks and such) and apply a coat or 2 to both sides of the paper then laminate as well...

The dogtags would work well... only issue is the chance of rust (i know not high w/ stainless steel but will happen)... my suggestion would be to go get some clear nail polish and do one, two or even 3 coats of it on both sided before you drown it...

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i might just have to go with the laminate idea. i called around today and those dog tags are 4.00 each at the cheapest. i need about 25 of them. after i do the laminate idea ill boil them for a couple seconds to make them roll up in a coil. that way i wont have to tie them on, just put them in between two knots

14. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    wow that is expensive i can get then for 50 a pair they are ripping you off

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    where please tell me! couldnt find em any cheaper online either!

16. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Try a trapping supply dealer. I know the snareshop sells 100 tags for $11.50
    Cheaper if you buy more.

17. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I got some alumium flashing from a house that's having siding installed. cut the pieces about 1 1/2 by 3" then used a set of letter and number punches, drilled a hole in the end. clear on one side, colored on the other, works fine for me

18. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    dinkbuster1,

Try a large pet store. They have machines to make dog tags. I'm not sure how much they cost they might even be more money! I think laminating can get expensive.. I think they do it by the foot so maybe not.

19. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I accumulated a sack of brass award name tags somewhere. I engrave the info, drill a hole and tie 'em on. Still using some of the first ones I made over 20 years ago. :cool:

20. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Here in Oklahoma you have to have to mark your trotline (like with a jug or foam, etc) put you info on the marker. I would assume that you would have to do the same in Ohio. I may be incorect on that assumtion but you could still do it to make it easier to find.