Marking released fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by nightowl, Oct 24, 2007.

1. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    Do any of you mark your fish in any way when you turn them loose.

I was wondering what is the best way to mark and identify the catfish.

I want to start keeping up with my catch, for no other reason than a personal study on the areas that i fish.

I don't want to harm or hender the fish in any way.

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I say learn how to tattoo, and put a big ol' BOC on top of their head :smile2:. Seriously, I've thought about marking fish myself but never have. I mostly fish for blues in large systems so chances of catching a marked fish again are small. You could probably have better success with flats because they tend to set up a home range and are not as mobile as blues. I asked a DNR guy about it one time and he strongly discouraged tagging or marking fish by an individual. He said it could cause confusion among state and federal agencies doing scientific studies and that it might confuse other anglers catching a marked fish. I don't know a good way to do it, but if there is a way to legally do it without harming the fish, then it would be interesting to try and see how many repeat catches could be made.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont know what if everyone started marking there fish?there would be a bunch of marked and tagged up fish in the water.It would be almost like griffiti,except it would be on the fish instead of the walls.Sounds good anyway:confused2:lol

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It's illegal in most states to tag or otherwise mark a fish unless you have the appropriate permission from the state game & fish folks. Better check your state laws to find out.

There's really no need to "deface" a wild creature for your own amusement. Either take it home and put it in the frying pan or take a photo and turn it loose.

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    take a common hand held paper punch and punch a hole thru the web of the tail. Be careful not to hit a spine and the fish won't even know it has been marked. second time you catch it mark a fin. ect

6. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    maybe you could pierce its ear. do the left one the first time the right one the second time, maybe put a ring in it's nose and..... come on guys, geez.

7. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I gotta agree with Marty on this one. There are a lot of state agencies tagging fish for good reason. No need to deface anything for your own purposes. It's illegal in my state.