Marking limb lines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Poppa, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I take wooden clothes pins and spray paint them florescent orange.
    I then take reflective tape and cut it into 1/4 " strips and put it on
    the long end of the clothes pin. When I put out a limb line I clip a
    pin on the limb or a limb near by. When checking your limb lines
    you can spot them at a distance and not disturb the area no more
    than you have to. The orange shows up in the day time the reflective
    tape at night under a spot light. I also use my pins during hunting
    season to mark down game when tracking. Do not mark the way
    to your tree stand. A blind man could find it. LOL

2. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I like that idea. Might have to try that.

I usually put mine out in groups. Pick a number... I usually pick 5. Then I put them out 5 at a time in the same general area. That way, when I go into that general area, I know I have that many to take out of there. I'll also get 5 baits out of the tank and into a seperate bucket, and five lines beside me ready to go. Sure helps me keep up with it.

The ex used to say I was quite ANALytical. Somehow I don't think she meant it as a compliment :tounge_out: But I've never "lost" a limb line :)

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like to use a painted soda bottle I always put it up stream from my lines

4. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I use the 3" dia orange and yellow reflective bobbers, clip them right on the line about 2 feet below where you tied off to the limb and they'll do exactly what you where discribing too

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Around this area marking them would be a bad idea, to many in this area will run your lines for you. I usued to mark them by site by picking out something close by to remember them. Haven't ran any lines in awhile but now it would be easy by marking them with a way point on the GPS :big_smile:.

6. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I only run limb lines maybe two weekends a year, and where I run them we have to hide them, I've came back to cut lines and actually saw one of them glitter boats checking my lines through binoculars from the ramp. I place mine below the waterline and just remember where they are at. I think I'll use the pins next deer season though..

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have metal tags with my name and address stamped in them,, painted red on one side,, the other side is just metal,,,, they show up good.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Three letters. GPS.
    Too many self righteous pricks that will cut a legal limb line.

9. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Just got my first GPS not long ago. Mark one more good use up for it. Thanks :wink:

10. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I've tried the GPS and it works ok as long as your lines are far enough apart. Start marking lines too close and all you get is a screen full of waypoints that all kind of blend together, at least here where you are allowed 50. Instead of marking waypoints it works better to use it to tell distance from line to line. Makes it easier to find in the dark.
    I use a 12 ft jonn boat and keep a couple of pencils in it. I drive and the passenger sets the lines, and then writes the information directly onto the front bench (spot #, # of lines, distance from last line, what line is attached to). Don't worry it's just pencil and washes off with a little water and a rag.

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    White or blaze orange plastic survey tape works good