Marking Fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bone3160, Aug 24, 2009.

1. bone3160

bone3160 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Ok I'm going to say this may be the most stupid question I have ever ask.Well here goes I know you see the fish on the depth/fish finder.But how do you know if it is catfish,striper ect.Just a question.lol

2. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    hi steve,you need to get JakeBussolini's book on reading sonars.he has spent many years experimenting on the water with sonars especially lowrance units.his book is $20.00 he lives in Mooresville,N.C. on lake norman.i dont know how to get you in touch with him ,but i know you can get imfo from wyliecat,on the boc down your way. or from lake norman blues in the N.C. lakes and resevoirs on the boc .they can tell you how to get his books.i know his wife has a book store in mooresville ,i just cant remember the name of it.

3. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Steve even though a book may help you on reading the fishfinder, some of those guys have yrs of experience using high dollar electronics and probably help you learn. Its nothing like on the water experence and no fish finder will tell you what kind of fish you are looking at. If i'm on the Wateree Lake and see fish anywhere from 15ft down to 30ft in 45ft of water along with pods of baitfish. These are probably striper, the catfish are usually down below picking up the injured bait. Now on the other hand, even tho most will be stripers, blue cats will run in with them. On the Santee the flatheads will run into a school of bait with the stripers. If you have a good fishfinder that shows arches, it will be even better. Get the book and go out and fish and catch what your fishfinder is showing. Thats the only way to know.As far as i'm concerned everything i see on my fishfinder is Catfish, everything else is bait:big_smile:

4. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Ive learned alot listening to what Jake has to say. He has come and done seminars for the Carolina Catfish Club a few times. I havent had the chance to read his books, but have heard from others that have that its worth the $20.

Like others have said the best way to learn is to use your unit and pay attention to what you see. Theres no real way to tell the species of a fish under the boat unless you can actually see it. Ive run million dollar boats with $200,000 worth of electronics on it and the arches and bait balls look pretty much the same as they do on my Lowrance unit.

Good luck, and if your interested in Jakes books google Jake Bussolini or look on amazon.com

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Steve just remember just because you can see them on the screen,that don,t mean they will bite :wink::smile2:

6. bone3160

bone3160 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the info I just kept seiing ppl on here saying they where marking catfish just wondering if they had one of those under water cameras or something....lol:smile2:Thanks again I'll try to find that book!

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I believe that the title of the book is: "Freshwater Fighters: The Science of Catching Big Fish". Some are available for $11.95 (used) at Amazon.com :big_smile:

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I just kept seiing ppl on here saying they where marking catfish just wondering if they had one of those under water cameras or something....lol>

Well, when you mark a large arch holding tight to structure on the bottom, or in little holes or pockets on the bottom, you can most times assume that it's a big cat. The proof is in the pudding when you cast to the exact spot where you saw the arch, and pull in a cat. The more you use your unit, the more you get familiar with it to detect what you are looking for. Experiment with settings such as sensitivity, color line, etc.

Bill in SC

9. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I ordered that book today. I could use the help :big_smile:

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...how do you know if it is catfish,striper ect...."

YOU DON'T!!

It is an educated guess at best that is based on size, location, fish that are caught, and depth. Even then, there are many variables that make it more "guess" than anything.

My old joke is that if you are fishing for bass the arches are bass, if you are fishing for catfish the arches are catfish, and if you are fishing for stripers the arches are stripers!!! :smile2:

12. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I am stunned at the responses that are appearing here!:eek:oooh: Maybe a quick lesson in physics could enlighten us all. Do some research on Ultrasound machines used in the medical field. It's the same principle!!! If it is clear enough for your Dr. to use to determine the status of your internal organs, I am sure it is good enough to tell what you are seeing on your sonar units. Just take the time to learn it, you won't be sorry if you do!!!!:wink:

13. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Wyliecat had the only correct answer: My old joke is that if you are fishing for bass the arches are bass, if you are fishing for catfish the arches are catfish, and if you are fishing for stripers the arches are stripers!!!

I guess thats why i aways tell the boys: All them big arches are cats, the rest is bait

Kinda liked sunbirds answer though, whatever it ment:smile2: