mark twain.....the one that gotta way

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by TheMadCatter, Mar 21, 2009.

1. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    so i was fishing at mark twain lake with my lady friend during one of the chillier parts of last month. not really expecting much, i just had to get out and fish. i set up on a nice bank, and sat there for about 4 hours with nothing, no bites no nothing. just as i was about to pack it in and start the long drive back home i heard this splash a few yards off shore, and then it happened. that sweet sweet sound of my little brass bell jingling.
    as i glanced over at my rods i noticed that one of them is doing its very best impression of the st louis arch. in other words its bent so hard that im surprised it didnt go in and take the beach with it. and after about 20 min of fighting this i finally got it to shore.
    there i was sitting in front of the biggest channel cat i have ever seen, and thinking about something i said before i left my house that night, "no we wont need the net".
    i pulled most of him up on to shore, i was amazed. i had almost 2 feet of him on shore and the only tail i coud see was still bobbing around a foot or so out. i then began to try and unhook him, i couldnt even get both hands around this guys he was so thick.
    so with one hand holding the leader i reached for my stringer to try and put a stronger tie on him, and thats when it happened. one kick back with his head and he snapped my 30 pound test mono and began to slide back into the water.
    now i dont remeber making this sound but the lady i was with said it was like a super hero movie when something bad happens, you know , a very loud NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    a catfisherman is left with 2 choices in a situation like this, watch it go or go in after it. guess which one i picked.
    standing there in mark twain lake at about 3am i had learned somethings, number one allways have a net, number two never hold a fish that big by the leader, number three allways have camera and take pictures of the fish as soon as you can see it, and number four when its 3am, cold, and you still have a 2 hour drive home dont go in after him, or at least wear waders.
    all in all i was happy, that is after the anger had passed. and i realized that i finally had something every other fisherman i knew had, a "one that gotta way" story. though i think mine is better than thiers because i had a wittness....lol.:smile2:

2. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Thanks for sharing your story Brandon… Mark Twain Lake has some big channels and flatheads, my biggest channel was taken there and it is common in the spring to catch a lot of 5 to 7 lb channels… your story confirms my belief that a new state record channel could come from there as well as a flathead… What did you catch it on and how deep were you fishing when it hit… I use live bait for the big channels there from now through the end of may… Sorry about the one that got away, guess you can say you were practicing catch and release. :crazy::embarassed::eek:oooh:

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you for your post and the reminders to bring along ALL your fishing equipment.Ya just never know what's gonna happen when you're fishin.Sorry it got away but at least you did get to see him before he broke your line.:smile2::cool2:

4. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    sounds like a pretty good day even if u didnt get a pic...what part of the lake were u fishin? what were u using for bait?

5. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i was using chicken liver, on a large bait holder hook with about a 2 oz bank sinker.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Actually, doesnt even have to be that big.. Never holding a fish by the leader is a hard lesson ALOT of catfishermen have learned :embarassed:

7. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    thats definately one of the hardest lessons i have learned since i got serious about catfishing. after all there is a reason that rods bend and have give.:wink:

8. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    a buddy told me today that they have really been slaying 40-60lb flathead up in the north fork area. good luck to anybody who heads up there. this rain tonight should really turn them on

9. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Has anyone been fishing the creeks into MT lake? I hope to start soon, but have only been once and did not do too well around Spaulding ramp. The white bass might start moveing too? Anyone on the rereg? Hannibal Mike

10. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Good story, I hate it when they get away.