Mark Twain Lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fat_fish55, Feb 21, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey have any of you guys ever catfished at Mark twain lake?
    also any other fish
    any tips and results would be cool
    thanks

2. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    I have done some crappie fishing on twain and a lil bit of catfishing,theres some nice flatheads in that lake and a bunch of tiny crappie,lol

3. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea iv heard about the crappie, sposed to be some nice ones in there too
    and seen a few pics of 60+ pound flatties
    cant wiat till it warms up a bit to crappie and catfish there

4. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    yeah i've fished on the lake. It's big, last time i went there i caught my limit in about 20 minutes.

5. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    most people catch the big flats on trotlines or limb lines baited with goldfish, you can sometimes hook a nice cat while fishing for crappie thats fun on 4# test line.
    I'll be up at mark twain alot this spring, i want to set out some trotlines then crappie fish the rest of the day

6. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    REALLY nice crappie in there and excellent channel and blue fishing as well. My best day there I caught about 60 catfish from 2-6 lbs in about 4 hours. I caught them on cut shad. Have caught some nice limits of blues as well in June. God bless.

7. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    There are a ton of crappie in that lake but it seems you have to go through 80 fish to get a decent size limit of fish. I think the need to up the limit from 15 fish to 30 way to many dinks in there.

8. bootr1

bootr1 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    i have caught sevearel nice flats on limblines therelast summer no luck with the crappie to many bass boats

9. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

We go 3-4 times a year. With out having a boat, we are limited to Lick creek, and the Salt river. We have caught plenty of small crappie these last few years. The girlfriend did catch a 3lb blue while fishing for crappie last summer on the Salt.

Ray

10. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I have had pretty good luck running lines the past few years on the lake. I live in Q town so i cant go as often a i would like, my biggest fish was a 28 lb flathead and a 20 lb blue on the same hump on the same evening. we fish blue gills and red hourse sucker on our lines. my favorite is the suckers. I need help on my rod and reeling in the lake.

11. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    I have never heard of monster size blues coming out of that lake like the flatheads, I guess cause there is just so much flathead type cover.

12. elvenbane1

elvenbane1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never fished the lake but I'm sure I will

13. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    I hear water temps are hitting 60+ in parts of the lake.

Anyone fishing for crappie? I'd imagine this weekend will start the big push on them. If anyone goes or hears anything please post updates. :)

14. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    I think we're going to run up there this weekend. Time to blow the mud dobbers out of the carbs. Soak up the sun & a few beers & maybe catch a crappie or two.

15. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think im heading up there for my first time this weekend
    hope to set some lines then try to hit few crappie/bass/whateverbites :)

16. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    It's a good cat lake for sure. Plenty of shad and small crappie for them to eat. :)

Cut shad on jugs on the mud flats will get you small channels and blues most times, and limbs or trot lines hung in the timber will bring some big flats.

We usually use goldfish (hard to catch enough bluegill) and nightcrawlers for flats, and shad for the rest. Biggest flat was 52 on a jug with nightcrawlers, and several more over 30 and 40. Plenty of smaller ones. Next month and a half is prime time!

17. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well went today and sorted through prolly 50 crappie for 12 nice keepers
    YUMMY
    didnt have any luck with the cats we set a trot line and a few limb lines but they only had a few hours to soke in the daylight too so didnt expect much
    cant wait to go camping there and put some out overnite :)

18. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    we didn't have any luck Saturday at Mark Twain. Water was 59 deg. Lake was very crowded partly cause some union was having a mtg there. We didn't launch till 3pm.
    When we left at 7:30 there were still 25 trailers in our parking lot. A friend & i fished there once last year & caught 34 crappie. Onlt 4 were worth cleaning.

19. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Few of us went last Wed and Thurs, 5 people and 5 limits the 1st day, and 3 people 3 limits the 2nd day. Nothing huge, mostly 10-11 inches w/ a few 12s mixed in, and yes we kept 1 out of 5-10 fish it seemed.

A buddy and myself found a hot spawn spot, caught 200 crappie in 1.5 - 2 hrs on a tiny spot. We hit the same spot the next day with 3 of us and got our limits in no time. We pretty much caught a fish every cast it seemed. Depth was 4-12 feet.

20. bootr1

bootr1 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    i went to mark twian last weekend fished friday night caught 5 flathead a 23# ,20# ,15,10, and 8# on limb lines saturday fishing was slow to much boat traffic Iwas almost run over by abass boat thatwouldn't slow down in the channel half of them show no consideration for people in smaller boats