Mark Twain Lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Denny H, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just wondering if anybody is doing any good at Mark Twain. If so what type of bait and depth are you finding them at. I've been there a few times and nothing to write about...that should tell you the luck I've had. Ha!Ha! Not giving up, I'll be back again on my days off.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    About a month ago, me and a friend managed to catch enough blues and flats to almost sink the boat.(slight exageration) Biggest being a 48# flathead. Have been back a few times since then, and the shad were hard to come by, and so were the catfish. I always catch fish there, but sometimes, it's like~BAM~, and it's on like donkey kong. It is a big lake, with several variables that can affect fishing. Best baits IMO for fishing Mark Twain are fresh caught shad, and/or perch live and/or cut. Nightcrawlers are best for the channelcats. It is a GREAT lake to fish, but sometimes requires intimate knowlege, and alot of time spent there to be very successful. I ALMOST like fishing there than fishing the Missouri river because there are plenty of fish, and some are large. A 20# catfish is pretty average. I almost feel skunked if I don't catch one that big anymore at Mark Twain.

3. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    I was up there on 5/26 and didn't do very well. I think mid-May was the hottest time from reports I've read, but usually Memorial Day is about prime, in shallow waters. As Kat said, its a lake you need to learn to be consistently productive on, but then big fish seem to be the norm. You'll see pole/trot/limb/jug lines everywhere in the water at times, but many will be unproductive. We have spots that are generally productive, but timing has to be right as well to make them hot. Right now there is a lot of water out there since its up, making them more spread out feeding in new flats. These areas can be hot, if you hit them right.

It's about to hit a big wall with the spawn, and then a tough summer pattern followed by the good fall bite. Good luck.

4. dust_stl

dust_stl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have always had my best luck on the South Fork of Mark T using small bluegills perch with a couple goldfish for bait 5-8 feet deep. I throw out 5-10 jugs within 30yds of the boat no weight with reflective tape so I can see them at night and also with 2 to 3 poles I usally come out with a good mix of cats

Dustin