Mark Twain lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Rockin' Blues, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    The fishing report at MTL says there getting limits of 9-11 inch crappie.10ft.deep in 20ft. of water 54 degree water temp.I'm thinking with the weather being warm now next week or two should be prime.I read they start spawning between 55 and 62 and best is at 60.:lol:

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I just left Mark Twain today. The temps were at about 55 degrees on Friday, and by this morning, they were about 60 in the lake, and about 64 in the river.

3. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    gmvk30, do any good?

I plan to be up there this coming weekend for cats, crappie, and turkeys. All of them should be good.

4. mo.wiskers

mo.wiskers New Member

State:
    missouri
    Just got back from mark twain and the fish werent biting good they are droping the lake

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Didn't do very good at all. I went Keith, KGK20, and he caught a 15 lb or so channel, but other than that, that was it. Water temps were cold when we got up there on Friday, they were gradually warming, but the lake is starting to drop. It fell about a foot or foot and a half over the weekend. I'm hoping the lake level drops back down to 606 in the next couple of weeks. Also, I think the temps are gonna have to be in the 70's before I can go after the flatty's. By the way welcome to the BOC Johnny.

6. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Yeah I saw that on the lake level chart earlier, they always drop it pretty hard. I guess its not affecting the crappie spawn yet, but generally they don't care. I've heard they pay attention to the shad spawn, but nothing else. My only hope is that it stabilizes for next weekend and gains a few more degrees with the warm days. These surface temps now are near prime for both cats and crappie biting very well, but if its dropping hard they won't. Also its supposed to storm mid-week, which may knock them off. Oh well, I'm going regardless, we'll see what happens. Thanks for the report.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the update! I'm gonna give it 2 weeks, then it's big fat flattie time. Good luck y'all.

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Yeah, about 2 more weeks and it should be prime. I started catching them bigtime last year the last weekend of April when the water temps were pushing 70 degrees. I can say one thing about the spawn though, I know the shad and carp are spawning. The carp were schooled up on bank all weekend, and every thing we touched had eggs on it. They shad were super active, you could go just about anywhere where I was at, and get a net full almost each cast.

9. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'll be up at MTL this weekend for some fishing drinking and burning (not necessarily in that order). A friend and I are headed up Friday at about noon and will be staying at a cabin in Stoutsvillie through Sunday. If any one is planning on being up there shoot me a PM and I'll tell you where we will be and you can stop by for a cold one and some fishing tales. Trust me we won't be hard to find--there will be a fire you can see from outerspace.

10. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Leave us a few fish. A few of us are going next Wed-Fri. But I might sneak up there this weekend with my grandson. :tounge_out:

11. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The creeks are running and the lakes arising. Hopefully the fish will start feeding.

12. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The lake was like glass this morning, and I was .................mowing the yard. Hopefully tomorrow!

13. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Headed up first thing in the morning. I hear the blues are turned on right now. A friend of mine, and a couple of his buddies went up there day before yesterday, and all 3 caught their limit of fish between 15-25# on rod and reel. I don't know their exact spot, but I know the general location. I hope they are still biting in the morning. They were catching them on shad. I'll let ya know how it goes tomorrow night.

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Anyone have any ideas as to when they are gonna shut the water down at the secondary dam on Rt A so a person who doesn't fish the lake can at least get on Salt River.That thing has been running crazy for a week and a half.Time for it to get back to normal.Hopefully anyway.

15. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    You ain't a kidding about the secondary dam. We went down there last weekend hoping to fish up by it, and the water was just rolling out of that thing. Nothing but walls of water about 20 ft high. We actually walked right up to the edge of the dam and were snagging 16" shad every cast we filled up a five gallon bucket in a matter of minutes.

16. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Well, I'm checking back in. Caught 3 blues today. Nothing huge, but alot of fun! I'll post pics of them in bluecafishing area. Will post a pic here of where they were caught incase anyone's interrested. All I will say is that it's north fork. The bluffs on the far side held the shad. The mud flats across from the bluffs is where we finally found the fish. Wind was in our face about 4 mph.

Attached Files:

17. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Haha, hey kat, I saw you out there yesterday. When we drove by at about 1PM after turkey hunting, we looked over and saw a boat with guys setting up rods. From the pic, its the same spot, so I'm sure it was you.

here were a fair number of people catfishing with rods this weekend around different flats in the area. We were busy turkey hunting and crappie fishing, so we only set a few trotlines and limblines for the cats. There were quite a few people running lines, but most weren't doing very good. We didn't do too bad, although the flatheads aren't quite hittin good yet, and the constant water fluctuation has the crappie messed up. Weather was beautiful though.

Attached Files:

18. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Y'all must've been the fellers we saw all cammo'd out. That's cool. Nice to meet you at a high rate of speed bro. Going back out Saturday night, and will fish all day Sunday. Yeah, it's probably too muddy for the crappie, but just about perfect for the cats. Hopefully, we'll be able to entice a nice flat or two this weekend. Peace out!

19. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Yeah that was us, we were heading home after a long weekend. We usually catch the flats really good around Mem day, but we caught two Saturday. Our trotline set looked good, with a lot of new debris and junk in the cove from the water rising, but all the bait was still alive and kicking when we took it out. Not even any gar or turtles workin the area. I agree, the rising water and high flow should be good for the cats, especially by stacking up shad.

The crappie required a couple mile jaunt up the lake to slightly clearer water, and even then they were slow. We didn't even get a bite anywhere near the area you were in.

Good luck to you this weekend, let us all know how you did.

20. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    We were out there this weekend as well and absolutely drilled the crappie! Some of the best crappie fishing I have ever experienced at MTL and bigges fish as well. I'll bet we easily averaged 11". We had to travel a bit to get to them though. The good fishing was was up middle branch.

As far as cats things were pretty slow. We caught a few channels and then headed into a cove to set up on some flats when WHACK!!! I hit a floater hidden under the muddy water and tore my prop all to heck. (Speaking of that anyone know a good place to get this one rebuilt and/or purchase an new one?). My motor is a 70hp Yamaha.

All in all though it was a GREAT weekend on the water!

DWB