Mark Twain Lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by wally_1951, Apr 7, 2007.

1. wally_1951

wally_1951 New Member

State:
    mo
    i took a drive up to mark twain yesturday....clarence cannon dam....was looking for a place to fish and camp in july when i go on vacation...let me tell you....the water was running....first time i have been at the dam...only saw one boat out there and looked like he was having a heck of a time....didnt see any fish caught....windy...really windy....then went down to the lower part....down at bluff view...water really being released out of there..last time i was there you cud walk across the salt river...not yesturday....was nice to get out and see it....cant wait to fish it again

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    You didn't happen to drive over the South Fork / Elk Fork bridges of the lake on Highway 154 did you? I am just wondering how high the water is down at that end of the Lake. I have a place on Elk Fork, and I don't really run up toward the dam ever, so I don't know what normal pool looks like up there. I am going up in two weekends, and if the water is high, I might wait until May to go up.

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I just check the US Army Corps of Engineers website, and they are showing Mark Twain at a level of 612 msl. The normal pool is 606 msl. So it is up 6 feet, which is pretty good.

4. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    GMVK30 Let me knnow when you are coming down and I can give you some info on water conditions, I live here and usually see some part of lake everyday. With rain fall they saw near north we should continue to see a good rise of water levels unless they decide tolower lake quickly , they usually don't dump drastic amounts when the Mississippi's running above flood stages.

Stickbender

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Thanks Bob, I will sure let you know. I hope it stays down, It seems like everywhere I have been fishing this spring, there is high water. The Mississippi is super high down here, too. Oh well, if all else fails, coming up will give me an excuse to get out of the house! What area do you live in? We have a camper over toward Paris.

6. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I live south of Monroe, between Paris and Monroe actually. Lake was up pretty good yesterday , real muddy and lots of white caps when I crossed on north fork yesterday.
    Give me a shout when your coming up and I 'll get you a better report on water conditions.

Stickbender

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Yeah, I could imagine the lake was whitecapping. Myself and Cuz were out on the Mississippi friday, and with the wind, it was whitecapping pretty good, and that wind has yet still to die down. Anyway I'll let know know when I'm coming up. Thanks again:big_smile:

8. wally_1951

wally_1951 New Member

State:
    mo
    well i went across the dam....lake was whitecapping.....then went over to highway A down to bluff view....water coming outa there pretty heavy...river really up .....too windy and cold to fish...saw two people at bluff view fishing the bank...but didnt see any fish....colder than heck out there.....

9. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm all ears with this MTL thread.

I'm thinking of Heading up there the weekend of APR 21st for a day or two and then probably again the 1st or 2nd weekend in May. See if I can't pull out a mess of crappie and then chase some monster cats. Anyone else gonna be around? Possibly a mini get-together? I'll probably get a space at one of the campgrounds or a cabin.

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Dan,
    Keith,(KGK20), and myself are going to be up there on Friday the 20-Sunday the 22. It may be a little too early yet for the flatties, but we're gonna give them a try. I just want to keep a real close eye on the lake level and water temps. If all else fails, I'll just have to hang around and do some work on my camper,:crazy: and crappie or bass fish. Actually, it all depends on whether or not my boat is out of the shop by then or not. Otherwise wee will be up there at the end of April.

11. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    My parents bought some property next the ramp at the end BB for a little retirement spot (was just out there today :smile2:) .. Hoping to start spending some time out on the water soon....

12. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Speaking of MTL. A friend of a friend recently caught a nice blue @ the lake. He caught it with a rod and reel over easter weekend on stink bait from the shore. It weighed in at 29 lbs. His face is blacked out since my friend did not get his permission to post. The hogs are out!!!

Attached Files:

13. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    I am also planning on going to mtl the last week of april and the first week of may,hope to get some crappie and cat.not sure if i am getting a cabin or what,i will have my german sheppard so thats going to limit were i can stay,hope to see some fellow boc brothers there.good luck to everyone.:lol:

14. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I may stroll over there some time. Going to see what the wife says. We are wanting to get a cabin somewhere so that I could fish and my boy would have some place to play.

15. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    me and my friend kickin_wing will probably be up there a lot this spring for sure, in fact goin there tomarro to try a motor i just got and maybe catch a fish or 2
    the last week in april and start of may im sure ill go at least once a weekend
    wear them boc shirts if you have them :) maybe well see each other, i fish lick creek mostly

16. natefishing

natefishing New Member

State:
    missouri
    How far up is the lake? Haven't been up there yet this year but plan to in may to catch some crappie or in june don't know yet. me any my dads boat is still in the driveway waiting to go out , for the rain to quit and for it to warm up more and have better weather for fishing. i hate it, i want to be out on the lake instead of in school but better weather will come sooner or later. any pictures of the lake, the fish, and all of you guys boats

17. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the lake is up about 8 feet from last year
    last year id have to back about 3-4 times further down the boat ramp i think
    its kinda different
    only been out twice with spring fever for 4 crappie and 1 bass but plan to go out this weekend and hopefully catch some fish
    im not too great at fishing when they are off the banks lol
    hopefully the morels will be popping and crappie biting with this 70 degree weather
    good luck out there

18. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Let me know sometime when you guys are going, i'd like to tag along.

Eric

19. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    I plan to hit it in a week or two for turkeys, crappie, and cats . . . this weather should be prime for all three.