Mark Twain Lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by DWB, Feb 23, 2007.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Has anyone been by there recently? Just curious as to the ice situation and the status of the 107 bridge (I heard it had been closed for some reason--possibly catastrophic)

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Was at mark twain two weekends ago, The main lake wasn't frozen but parts of the South Fork and Elk fork were. It is probably completely thawed by now. As for the 107 bridge, back in September rumor has it that the bridge partially sunk down a couple of feet. Part of the bridge has been removed, and you can't go under it, as the lake is closed to boat traffic there. Your best bet is to avoid that area. There is a number you can call to get lake information it is: 573-735-2619. It's a recording, but it might tell you what you need to know.

3. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Shucks! I think that was the bridge I caught most of my crappie under last year.:sad2:

4. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    For sure it is a crappie hot spot.

I called the number and there was no mention of the bridge problems. Does anyone else know anything? I usually launch my boat at the Ramp just off 107 on U. I don't even know how to get to any of the other ramps without driving over the 107 bridge.

5. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can still get to U road ramp , just can't use 107 bridge, you can hit U off of 24 , I been calling coyotes on ice up till Wednesday of this week, most of the lake has ice. Should be gone pretty quick as lots of metal and creeks and rivers are running hard andraining pretty good today. Be care as a lot of the lake that looks to be ICE free actually has about 6" or more of water over a layer of ice. Hope this helps,

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    It is the North fork bridge over the lake that is closed, but you can still access from the U ramp without going around the detour. It takes about 30min to get around. Or use the south fork access ramp.