Mark Twain Lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bigtimeblues, Oct 2, 2006.

1. bigtimeblues

bigtimeblues New Member

State:
    missouri, macon
    Does anyone here fish Mark Twain? I was planning on going over there in two weeks for some blue and flathead fishing. I've never fished it before and was hoping for a little incite on some good areas or tips.

2. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i fished there on north fork saturday evening a couple hrs,the water is low and the bite was slow.its about a forty minute drive for me.how far are you from mark twain lake.

3. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Don't get up there more than once or twice a year now but used to spend a lot of time there fishing for flatheads. I always fished pretty far back in the forks, usually Elk Fork and South Fork. both have lot's of flooded timber, though a lot of it has rotted down now compared to what used to be there. I'd go back in South fork until it narrows down , set up on the old river channel, a bend probably, easy to find with fish finder or just look for the old river path through the trees, you'll find it. Fish right on the old river edge where the old bank would have been. Not sure how it will be this time of year , always went up there in prespawn. If you stay in the State Park, then South fork ramp is just a hop and a skip away. Park should be beautiful right now with the fall foliage. Shad always worked good and usually easy to find in the coves. Take some gold fish or perch just in case. Good luck.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fished the north fork in august and caught more blues than I have ever seen in my life. Went back twice with no luck. Fished south fork last week and had medium luck. 5 blues,10 channels. On the way back to the boat ramp, we passed 2 guys anchored in the main part of the lake about 50 yards from the bluff side, and they caught 2 right as we passed. This leads me to believe that the blues are in the big, deep water now. Hope to test my theory soon. Good luck to ya!

5. bigtimeblues

bigtimeblues New Member

State:
    missouri, macon
    Thanks guys, sorry I hadn't been able to get on here for awhile due to work. Harry I'm about 45 minutes away also. I live over in the Macon area. I'm planning on going this weekend and fishing mainly for flathead at night.