Mark Twain Lake/ need advice

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by joer, Apr 9, 2009.

1. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Well don't know where to start with my fustration although I'm new at this I thought I should be on fish by now!:confused2: I've fished MT several times this year and only have a few small fish to show for my efforts. I've fished ledges, channels, flats and everywhere in between.Also use fresh shad in sides, cut, fillets and guts. Do you guys have a system to get on fish? I've used my electronics but can't seem to find a large concentration of fish. Should I start on the down wind side of the lake first then fish them deep? Just so much water out there that I think I just get overwhelmed. Any and all advice will help.

2. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i know ive prolly told u this a couple of times but a lot of the old timers around there swear by using worms. so maybe u could give that a try. also i have always used whole shad and done fairly well but nothing to really brag about. hope we can hear some good info on hear. hoping to head down and do some camping next weekend.

3. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Let me know where you'll be stayin' and I maybe able to meet up with you!

4. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    what kind of catfish are you looking for? Twain is known for the flathead, many huge flatheads are taken every year in the lick creek area but mostly from trot line or limbline...i have done pretty good in the salt creek below the damn aswell

5. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    try skipjack, it is hands down one of the best baits to use, past that ive caught a ton of channels at m.t. on chicken liver, including one fish that i wrote a post about that ended up getting away, and was easily the biggest channel ive ever seen in person. get some liver holder hooks by mustad from bass pro or cabelas. for blues nothing is better than skipjack my friend.

6. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    also try around the highway u boat ramp there is a little creek that heads back around the right side of it. i allways have good channel catches there. hope that helps you get some.

7. jody25

jody25 New Member

State:
    missouri
    we have also tried skipjack and we also fish the u boat ramp area with little and no resoltes any advise

8. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    have you fished the south fork area at all? what times are you out the at the u ramp?

9. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Looking for blues. I just haven't graphed any large concentration of fish yet. Just wondered if I was looking in the wrong places.

10. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I would suggest driffing structure of some sort.And way up south or north fork rivers is where I have had the best luck using shrimp fishing the channel and timber flats. A guy up there told me for channels you can't beat crawdads he said they are the best bait.Large shinners work good also.When drifting up there set your lines at different depths to see if the blues are suspended of the bottom.Hope this helps alittle.

11. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    oh yeah, thats a good point. crawdads are really great bait. when i use them i dont use circles i rig them to one of those mustad saftey pin looking liver hooks, and ive never had to set it. they just hit it hard and fast.

12. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i have caught lots of channels up there on leeches too.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What this man said! Get up in the river channels. I like North Fork the best, but South Fork is good too. I've not caught too many blues or flats in the main body of the lake. Always in the rivers around rocks and trees in 2-12 feet of water. Good luck!