Mark Twain Lake for blue catfish?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by damcodon, Dec 6, 2006.

1. damcodon

damcodon New Member

State:
    Quincy, Illinoi
    Having experienced great Blue and Flathead fishing, in the " Ol Mississippi River", was wondering if anyone has had much luck on Mark Twain Lake, near Paris, Mo?

2. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    It's a pretty good lake for flats and blues but don't think you'll like it as much as the Mississippi. I don't get up there much anymore but used to a few years ago. Never had much competion rod and reel fishing but the limb liners/bank polers and trotliners hit all the creek and river arms hard. I stick to the Mo.River now 99% of the time. I get up there once or twice a year just for a change of scenery. Be hard to beat where you've been fishing, the Mississippi is one heck of a fishery.

3. davemo

davemo New Member

State:
    mo
    I for one think mark twain has an underfished population of channels and blues.It is well known as a flathead lake but not very popular wit de blues crowd.I am planning on doing alot more fishing there myself and have been studying terraserver and a fishing hotspots detailed map i have of the area.I am planning on doing some drifting come iceout this spring will try to post my experience

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I talked to a guy up there a few years ago that said they regularly drifted jugs for big blues. He said they fished deep water down near the dam with shad but that's all the information I got from him about it. He said they did real well . I thought about it but never tried it. At that time it was all about flatheads with me. Now it's all about catfish, it isn't that I've gotten less picky, just realized that all cats are awesome and the bigger they are the awesomer they are. But I guess I have to admit that flatheads still stand out just a bit over the other two,for me, no offense to the blue and channel lovers out there. We all have our favorites and thank goodness we don't all like the same thing.
    Just remembered he said they fished at night, usually all night.
    When I do rarely get up there now I still pretty much fish for flatheads cause that's what I know best up there and don't get up there often enough to pattern anything else. I got the Missouri river for that. Sometimes catch blues at Mark Twain anyway when flathead fishing and I don't complain too much when that happens! I usually fish the old river channels back in the river arms quite aways.I like to stay out far enough to have ten to twenty foot of water in the channel. When I run into shallower water I usually move back out towards the lake a bit.Find an area with a lot of timber standing, it won't be hard. I like to fish the bends , both inside and outside. At night right on top of the old bank and in the day time down the sides half way or down on the bottom of the old channel. I always use shad and or goldfish, Shad are almost always easy to catch back in the coves along about dusk. I fish Elks Fork and South Fork but I believe all the creek and river arms to be pretty much the same up there.
    Good fishin.

5. davemo

davemo New Member

State:
    mo
    Thanks just_cats for the info . I c ya fish out of the new haven ramp alot ever venture down to hermann? If so and yer interested give me a holler and we can do a fishing trip sometime.