Mark Twain Lake catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bluecat junkie, May 15, 2007.

1. bluecat junkie

bluecat junkie New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm leaving Friday May 18 for a three day weekend of crappie and catfishing on Mark Twain Lake. We will be concentrating around the Lick Creek area. We plan on fishing for crappie throughout the day and chasing catfish in the evening. I have not pursued catfish on Mark Twain Lake before so any information would be helpful. Should I concentrate in the backs of coves or should I fish the bends on the channel? I am targeting blues and flatheads. I have a map of the lake and it shows where the salt river channel runs. Should I fish next to the channel? ANy help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Scott

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been having luck fishing mud flats. Have gaught nothing but blues, and 1 big flat on the flats. Anywhere that the bank slowly tapers off into the water. Caught the most fish so far in less than 5 feet of water. Possibly near deeper water, but not in it. If the water is coming up, the backs of coves should be good for flats. I try to look for the muddiest water because that's near where water is coming in, and it stirs things up. Don't seem to catch much in the clearer water. Crappies will probably be in clearer water than the catfish, JMHO. Good luck.

3. bluecat junkie

State:
    missouri
    I will try just that. Thank you for your response.
    scott

4. skipjackking

skipjackking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you have a cast net i would try catchin some shad they seem to really be hittin the shad.If u dont i would pick one up. Good luck.

5. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish lick creek quite often maybe ill see you this weekend if i go. Ill be in a jon boat and ill wear by BOC t shirt. Good luck.

6. natefishing

natefishing New Member

State:
    missouri
    try near the dam for catfish like blues, channel and flatheads with the current crappie good in licking creek and near the bridges past 107 highway boat ramp best of luck good fishing lake is muddy i heard but crappie are biting don't know about catfish though

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I'll be hitting Twain soon :smile2: .. My Parents, Aunt, and Cousin bought a bunch of land next to the Ramp at BB.. I hear its close to the creek (???) .. My Aunt and Uncle just put up a new Modular there.. Still clearing brush on my Parents site.

The ramp doesn't look all that great, but I guess it will be good enough to get the boat in....

My cousin and Uncle are wanting to start tangling with Twain Whiskers and have asked me to come on down and show em how to get started.. I'll be hitting some you Twain Regulars soon for info :wink:

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    If you're fishing for flatheads, target the shallows right before dark. All my large fish, (50+ lbs) have been caught in 3 feet of water. I would also use large goldfish for bait. You can pick them up around the lake for 7 bucks a dozen. Cast out into the shallows next to the stumps. I usually will look for stumps with holes in them or anywhere you might think a bed will be. I have caught a lot of flatties up there over the past couple of years, and this is just my experience. I have never done any good fishing in the channel, unless you are targeting blues or channels. If fact the 59lber in my avatar come from the Middle Fork last Memorial Day weekend. If you want some good bait, I don't know what the Corps is doing, but I was at the Re-regulation dam a couple of weeks ago, and they were letting water out full blast. I got right up against the back of it, and was snagging 10-15" gizzard shad every cast. Them gut pockets make awesome bait for the blues. But if it was me, I'd go for the flatties. They should be prime by this weekend. I'll be heading up next Tuesday for 10 days. Good Luck!

9. bluecat junkie

State:
    missouri
    I'm so pumped to get out there and start fishing I can't even think straight. It's going to be extra special because not only do I get to chase the catfish around, but I get to do it with my brother for the first time in several years. We used to fish all the time but since two new additions in the form of sons came along he has been extra busy. They are very special little boys to me so I don't mind. Anyway, thanks for the information to all of you and good luck on the water this weekend.
    Scott

10. cards n catfish

cards n catfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bluecat Junkie,
    See you Friday. Did you have the Texas Hold'em set last time we played? If not, I've got one.
    For the rest of you guys - thanks for the advice. What size hooks do you use on trotlines? I'm not partial to blues or flats or channels; I just want a lot of them. What would be a good all around hook size?

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Now is a great time for flatheads. I would use limb lines or bank poles with a 10/0 hook at least. Anything smaller, a 50+ fish will straghten out. I have good luck with Ocopus circle or Kahles hooks with large goldfish. With this combinatin you should have a heck of a chance at a few large flatties. Concentrate on the muddy shallow flats with structure in the evening or at night. I haven't done any good fishing the channel with trotlines. Just my experience.

12. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Good advice thus far. Definitely a prime time to be out there after cats, and shallow water is probably your best bet. There are a lot of mud flats on the lake, some bare, some with stumps. Blues are good on the more open areas, flats around the brush. We use live goldfish and nightcrawlers for the flatheads, and cut shad for blues. Nightcrawlers have particular appeal in high and rising water, although we've done well on them when water was very low making flats even more prominent. Look for shad schooled up on shallow flats and you've got a good start.

13. bluecat junkie

State:
    missouri
    I have two hold 'em sets so I will bring them both just in case. What time are you going up on Friday? I am going to be leaving Columbia no later than 12:30. Hell, I still don't know exactly where I'm going. I hope you are prepared for 3 days of suds and fun cause lord knows I am. See ya Friday.
    Scott

14. cards n catfish

cards n catfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Junkie,
    My goal is to leave as close to noon as possible, but, I've got a ton to do in the morning.
    Dad says he will be at the Lick Creek Access at noon. If you can make it there, we can get you the rest of the way. Neal has my cellphone # if you need it.

Thanks to Gary and John for the information - it will be put to good use.

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use 5/0 eagle claw, but I'm not necessarily targeting trophy size fish. Have caught 30# to 50# fish on 5/0 though. Would go bigger, but I like catching plenty of eaters.

16. skipjackking

skipjackking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ran lines near elk fork wensday night.Ran them bout 2 am one channel cat bout 6lb.Then at 6am had 32lb blue and 20 flat. The bite is really on now. Used perch an set lines in 7-10 feet of water bout 60 feet away from the channel on a flat with a bunch of timber. Headin back up there memorial weekend. Good luck guys. 0h i use a 8/0 eagle an havent had any trouble.

17. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    all this sounds great, never been to the lake but you guys make it sound like i been missing out all this time. cant wait im there june 2

18. skipjackking

skipjackking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have pics of my fish under all catfishing if u want to check them out.

19. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Headed up there tonight for a one-nighter of trotlines, jugs, and rod&reel. Might rain, might not, who knows. Lake level has been stable for a week, which is good, but who knows what the weather fronts will do to them. Should be a good night on the lake regardless, and hopefully we'll be rewarded.

Good luck to anyone else going after them.

20. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I was Mark Twain last Sat Nite and Sun Morning.. I'm sad to say all I was able to manage was 1 little run :embarassed: .. I was using cut shad and goldfish... Rains had been moving in and out, so don't know if that affected them or not..

I did notice a trot line after trot line .. Seemed every tree sticking up where we stopped to fish had em hanging off it..