Mark Twain Boat Ramps

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We're heading down to Mark Twain from Iowa. There's a higway 24 that cuts across a northerly arm of Mark Twain. Is that as good a place as any to launch a boat to go catfishing? We're hoping to do some drift fishing if conditions allow. Otherwise, does anyone have any hot tips for fishing Saturday? How 'bout bait? Easy/Hard to get?

Mike.

P.S. We're escaping our flooded out Coralville Reservoir...the one that's been on the news flooding out Iowa City. The water's been so ridiculously high that I haven't fished at all this year.

2. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    The ramp at 24 is on the North Fork. It is a good place to fish cats, but the lake is coming up and very fast. I'm doubting you'll be able to get in using it. Go down 107 and look for the sign to Stoutsville ramp. It's a few miles down the lake from where you're looking and has a high water ramp. You probably will do well on smaller fish if you go upriver due to the water influx. If you go near the bridges you'll find a few nice flats where there's decent fishing. But, the water is 15 feet over pool and supposed to rise another 5-6 feet in the next 4 days.

Shad are abundant and usually not to hard to get. If they're not on the surface, you'll need to be good with your depthfinder to locate and net them. Catching perch/bluegill for bait has been near impossible for me up there. I'm not sure if they're not very abundant, the muddy water detracts from them finding the bait quickly, or whatever it is . . . but I usually bring bait if I want live bait.

Good luck.

3. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks a bunch! I hope we can scrounge some shad around here before we come down.

You ever hear of anyone drift fishing on Mark Twain? We'll just be there for the day heading home in the evening.

Thanks again, Mike.

4. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    I have heard about it, but never seen it. Typically blues are targeted when doing that, and while there is a good population of decent blues (5-15), you never hear about big ones coming out. We do well on jugs on flats at night with cut shad and worms. You can hit the schools of blues and have quite the action. I've drifted with a few rods across the flats with the jugs, but never gotten much on the rods. Most people park and cast on the main lake flats, or go way up the rivers and sit on the shallower bank. Good luck.