Mark Twain Bait-gittin

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm going to run down to Mark Twain this coming Saturday (Oct 18) to try getting some blues. I'll be coming down from Iowa and go over on 24. Can someone remind me of what boat ramp I'm heading for?

Also, can anyone know what the shad situation is like down there? Are they still easy to get at the boat ramps?

Mike.

2. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    there r a couple of boat ramps that r off of 24 id say the best one is take 107 south of 24 and u will see a sign to the right. just follow that road for a few miles and keep following the signs. that ramp will put you on some good holes in north fork part of the lake. i also think there is a boat ramp on otter creek but ive never used it. i usually fish over on south fork more. we have been finding shad along bridge pilings and in the back of coves in a couple of feet of water. good luck and i might see u down there if i get my boat running right this week.

3. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the info!

I'll be in a 16' lowe "fishing machine".

Mike.

4. beshears

beshears Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    We put trotlines out Sat baited with live perch. Sunday we had two flatheads, a 5 and a 12, one small blue and 8 channels from 4 to 8 lbs. We did best up the rivers.

5. jlcperformance

State:
    moberly, missouri
    u still plannin on going over there tomorrow?

6. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Still coming down today...hope I can find some bait...

7. jlcperformance

State:
    moberly, missouri
    how'd things go this weekend?

8. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We had a great day! We only caught one little channel cat, but I have a much better feel for the lake now. We didn't make it down till 10:00 AM. It took a full hour to get onto enough bait to fish with.

I put in at that ?Stoutsville? ramp. I went downriver around the first big bend. There was a boat ramp tucked in a bay to the north and way yonder south (3 mi?) was a large boat ramp near that 107 bridge.

Anyways, I only had bait in the water for maybe an hour. I went down beyond that bridge just to look around and fished some deep water there.

What a nice reservoir. I'll definitely be back.

Mike.

9. jlcperformance

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i hear ya....i just really started fishing it this year but i just found a map of the lake and looked at some areas i thought would do pretty good and went for it. i had pretty good luck with channels and flathead but i still havent been able to get on the blues there yet. i think drifting would be the best way to get them but i havent got my boat set up for it yet so i will work on that this winter. the only thing that sucks about mark twain is all of the trees in the back of the coves. i just know that is where there r alot of large fish and at night im just to scared to take my boat very far back there. but anyways maybe next year when u come down we can get together and slay some big cats.