Marion or Moultrie.....

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Foxhound, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Can any of you guys help out with a current report on either lake ? Have a trip planned for Feb. 9 through 12.......really looking forward to getting out for a while. First time staying at Harrys, usually stay on Canal. Is canal worth fishing this time of year ?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Foxhound, I got some bait from harry's last week and the guy told me people were catching cats pretty good. When I tried to nail him down, he would only say "out on the lake". LOL I didn't see any boat trailers in the parking lot, though, and that's not a good sign.
    From what I've heard and read, the bite has slowed down, due to the water temps. Once you get there, someone can point you right, but I would try deeper water along the river channels during the day, and shallows early and late. It's supposed to be a little cooler by the time you come, but the water temp won't cool much for a while, and will warm up during the day. I would expect shallows near deep water to produce late in the day and early evening. Sorry I can't offer much more than that, my luck hasn't been too great lately either. The warm water has scattered the baitfish, so the cats are also scattered. If the water temp were to drop into the 40's I would try fishing straight down with shad in the timber and flats north and west of the dam, 30' or so of water.
    Good Luck with the fishing.

3. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks Tommy, Ive got a new pontoon boat that Ive just finished rigging out and cant wait to get to try it out. I dont get to see my brothers often and they are going with me so Im sure we will have a great time.Ill keep you posted on our venture and thanks a bunch !!! If we dont find any fish Im sure gonna try to conjure up a guide at Harrys.

4. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    For a guide,I would recommend Brad Browder if you can get him on short notice. He guides out of Harry's and Canal Lakes. I've fished with him twice and am going down to fish with him on the 18th. He works hard to get you on the fish and seems to know the lake very well.
    GT

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I haven't used Brad, but he's reputed to be good, as are a lot of the guides up there. A guide is definitely a good investment. The diversion canal will usually pay off with some fish, as long as there is current, too.
    If all else fails, just look around and see where most of the boats are concentrated. If the fish are biting, there will be plenty of boats doing whatever it is that the fish want.
    Best of Luck to all of you, and let us know how it goes.

6. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    aye ken, good luck and let us know how you do.

And a big :0a25: to the boc