Mariner Outboard

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Spills, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Spills

Spills New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just bought a 16 foot jon that has a Mariner 40HP outboard on it, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a site that has information about my outboard. It seems to run fine, but I would like to get more information on it, and possibly a repair manual. I do know it's 87 or newer...but that's about it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jon

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Good call there Lawrence. I have done business with those folks a lot and recommend them anytime.

And Jon that speaks volumes of you wanting to get a manuel and learning all you can about a motor that you depend on. Kudos to you.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I had a 1988 model 30 hp mariner. It was a great running motor. Used it 6 to 7 days per week for three years. And sold it for Only $200 less then I payed for it. Never had a minutes trouble out of it.
    Pete

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I have a 87 Mariner 60 horse that has never given one bit of trouble and cranked if you looked at the key to hard until I let it sit for about 5 years.
    Bobpaul has done the necessary work to remedy that situation though.

What I learned about my Mariner when Bobpaul started working on it.
    Its a Mariner in name only. It was manufactured by Yamaha. It has 3 cylinders fed by two carbs. Ingenious.:eek:oooh:

Currently I have my eye on late 80's Mariner 100 horse that is mounted to a bassboat.
    Anybody need a bass boat with a trailer but no motor?:big_smile:

5. Spills

Spills New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks guys, I'm going to pick one of those manuals up...good to have.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I owned a 86 Mar 40 then traded it for a 87 50.I finally gave that little bass boat, a Fisher Grey Thunder, to a guy that couldnt afford to buy one for himself and his son.I gave it to them in 2005 and that motor was still purring like a kitten.In fact still is running fine.I did all the required maint on the motor religiously.ie change the lower unit oil 2 times a year,plugs once a year,only used premium leaded fuel then a lead additive in the gas,only used the premium Mercury oil of that time etc etc etc.Did a water pump and impeller kit every other year also.Kept the power head sprayed with anti corroision oil.The prop which was original did NOT have one ding in it after all that time.When I went to Colorado I went from a 13 pitch to 14 because of the altitude.In all those years I spent about 300$ to fix things on that engine like a leaking gasket or new thermostat etc just minor things.I have no doubt right this minute that that engine will crank up and go right now because the new owner is even more anal about maintaining it that I was.:smile2::big_smile:A motor is only as good as its owners care.:wink: