Mariner Motors?

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by tnson, Feb 9, 2006.

1. tnson

tnson New Member

State:
    tenn
    When did mercury stop making Mariner, and why?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bill I can't answer that for you right at this time but you give me a day and I will answer it for you.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Did anyone ever come up with a answer for this question ??peewee-williams

4. catfish101

catfish101 New Member

State:
    nc
    mariner bought force,mercury bought mariner.most of the mariners were
    yamaha 50hp down on smaller motors if you can not get parts try a long
    time yamaha dealer . larger mariners were force motors. big fish eats little fish

5. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    There are no longer any Mariner motor dealers in the USA. Closest dealers for Mariner are Canada. This was done about 1o years ago when there was a major restruction by "The Owner" of Mercury, Mariner, Force, Monarch and several other subsidiares. I can't at this time remember who owns all these companies. But Force, Mariner, and Mercury was divied up to different sales areas. The new owner decided Mariner sales were better out side of the US.

This is what was told to me by the dealership where I use to work as a mechanic...at one time they sold Mariner and Force motors.

6. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    i think BRUNSWICK owns mercury................ the bowlin lane folks....

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    They quite painting Merc engines grey and putting the Mariner name on them about 4 yrs ago. Give or take a year.

8. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a 1 cyl.2 hp.and a 2 cyl.40 hp.tiller Mariner.I guess it was the first "Big foot",as it will take the same prop as a 70 hp.Mercury of the same year.Both are extremely light weight,over 20 years old and running fine.I commercial fished with the 40.I shrimped with a 30 foot balloon net.The fuel consumption is unbelieveable at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle.I think mine were made by Yamaha.peewee-williams

9. tnson

tnson New Member

State:
    tenn
    Thanks for the info guys, don't need any parts yet , my 150 is mstill running strong. but paying for the fuel is terrible,about two miles to the gallon. thanks again

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bob, you know the Mariner I have . I was always told it was a grey Mercury.
    Both assembled on the same assembly line. One got grey paint, one got black.

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    My wife weighed my motors on the bath room scale.The 2 hp.weight is 22 lbs.The 40 hp.weight is 140 lbs.The hp.is at the prop.It would be nice if they could do that today,with the weight.I some times wonder about PROGRESS.peewee-williams

12. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i have a 30hp mariner and when i needed to replace the head gasket, i was told by the parts shop it was really a yamaha. i like my motor, been running it on a 14ft flat bottom for about 11 years. i have it on a jack plate to hunt and fish shallow water in the marsh. no electric start, choke then two pulls then unchoke, then fires up on the next pull. when warm, half a pull. but fellows next boat i buy, will be with a steering wheel and electric start........i aint getting no younger........charlie r

13. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I've got a 75 HP Mariner on my Pro Craft. All this info was good to know. Ya never know when this type info will come in handy.

14. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    i bought a 16 foot welded alluminum ba$$ boat with a 1983 70 hp mariner, had'nt run in eleven years would have started first try if had flipped the safety switch first. needs lower end seals, she flies, payed $750. for her. catnip