Marine search lights

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by poopdeck [patrick], May 5, 2009.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    What kind of search or spot lights do you guys use? I know I was on this subject before but I have some money comming in and I am buying a few things for my boat. Anyway do most of you guys use remote lights or hand held? If anyone has a good remote they want to sell contact me. Also looking for a vhf radio and antenna, maybe a good reel too. I would appreciate it if some one could tell me where and what to buy "cheap" in a good remote spot light. Thanks guys.

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I have a spotlight I bought at Lowe's 5 years ago when I bought my boat, however I rarely use it. The only time I really use it is to check where all my lines are when casting out another one! :wink::smile2:

I have found that it is easier traveling the river in the dark rather than use a spot light all the time. Don't get me wrong, it is definately something that should be on board while out there on the river at night...I have found that I don't use it all that much or use it very sparingly.

I know Cabela's had some of their spot lights on sale...might want to check there.

3. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    We have a cheapo spotlight as well. And it's good for things like blinding other people in the boat (including the driver), getting tangled up with equipment and even providing light for filming carp jumping to be used in youtube videos. The entertainment value for such activities as "find the spotlight", getting the "lock" mechanism to work or even getting the chord unwrapped from a throbbing rod tip is worth the investment alone.

My recommendation would be to get one that you won't get agitated when your fishing buddy repeatedly drops it in the bottom of the boat....

At the end of the day, I would consider it "nutroll" enhancer, not an inhibitor.

4. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I already have a hand held. I fish a lot by myself and I am worried about docking at night and not be able to see. i guess I will check out some dock lights.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I have a 12 volt 2 million candlepower QBeam. I use mine a TON at nighttime for lots of reasons. Mostly to avoid hitting floatsome, wingdykes, moored barges etc etc. Hard to argue the safety side of the lights.

6. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    How much that cost you Cuz, is it a remote control?

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    nope just a handheld that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I drive with one hand, shine with the other. when I dont need it I hung it on an eyebolt outa the way. I think I might have paid 39 bucks for it. Probably can do better on Ebay I'd bet. Dont mess with the battery powered ones. I found they were never very good for more then an hour or so. I sure wouldnt go on this river at night without one thats for sure. That light has saved my bacon more times than I can remember for sure.

8. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    As far as lights for docking or navigating, I have 2 tractor lights I bought at Tractor Supply for about 20 bucks apiece mounted on the front of my Procraft. I use a black light to keep up with the line placement. I use Suffix neon tangerine line which shows up well under the black light.

9. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    A good headlamp is also a great investment. I have one that has a spotlight that you can see about 100 ft with. Not enough for looking upriver for things floating but plenty for loading the boat up and things like that.

10. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I also use the 2 million Q-Beam and have been very pleased with it. I use for running the river at night and keeping up with jugs.

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I use a cheapie handheld one also. I bought it at wally world 8 years ago or so. I use a small jump pack to plug it into so I don't run the batteries down on the boat, and I don't have a cord strung across the boat. I only use it if I am running up the river from the lake. You have to run across a mile of 2 ft mud flats and the entrance is really narrow. There are logs everywhere up there. Also comes in handy sometimes for finding shad at night.

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I just installed a GoLight with wired remote (also wireless) with an LED Controller that has memory stow, 370 degree scan, shows position and has a 4-way toggle switch for tilt and scan.

Sent it off to Texas for modification. Had an HID (High Intensity Discharge) Xenon bulb installed. Draws less amperage than the old halogen and only draws 3 amps after it fires up good (15 amps during startup).

This baby puts out 15 MILLION CANDLEPOWER and projects usable light out past 3200 feet!!!!

Mounted on the top of the 'infamous' tower!:cool2:

13. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Got any pics Darryl?

14. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    How much that cost you daryl?

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    bout a months salary LMAO :smile2:

You'll be able to see him coming down the river in Baton Rouge though. :smile2:

16. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Ummmmm.......Plan on dropping about $540.00:eek:oooh: for the goodies, light and LED controller included of course.:roll_eyes: If you already have a Golight, the bulb upgrade is $215.00 and you have to send it to them and have it done. Not for everyone I know. But dat baby ROCKS!!!!!:smile2:

17. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    His boat is going to be lit up like a christmas tree:smile2:

18. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

Christmas tree.... try U.F.O (unidentified floating object) lmao... Never the less Skip comes up with neat ideas.. Im betting it turns out pretty cool...

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

Gotta give the man credit, Skip dont do anything half a$$!

20. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    500 dollars is way too much for me to spend on a light. It must be nice to be rich.