marine radio?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by skiff1, Dec 19, 2009.

1. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    wanting to know if anyone has used the cobra mr f55 vhf. if so how well does it work? can you reach out 25 miles clearly? also what type of antenna are you using?

2. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    I haven't used that brand,but get you a GOOD antenna and you should be fine. The antenna is the main part,so get a good one. The taller the antenna the further you can get out also.

3. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    can you give me any suggestion as in brand i want to do it right the first time if you know what i mean i don't wanna regret it one day

4. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Shakespear makes a good antenna. I have a center console with the antenna on the t-top which is an 8ft. antenna.

5. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    cobra are really good radios. I don't know much about the vhf radios. But i drive a 18 wheeler for a liveing and i've used a lot of cb radios and cobra is one of the best. The first thing i do with a new radio is take it by a radio shop and get it peak and tune.. It cost about $25.00 and makes it 3 times stronger

6. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    get a tall antenna. them little wire ones won't get the job done. If you fish the Santee a radio is a must:big_smile:

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Being on a lake can cut down on the distance you can reach. Trees and houses make it harder to get out a longer distance. You can reach slot further in open waters. Like others have said the taller the antenna the better you are. Some radios seem stronger out of the box than othrs. Wyliecats is one of those. ThAt one is strong when transmitting. It's nice to have during the times when slot of peole are on the lake and talking/ Bsing.

8. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    do you know what he is running? (wyliecat)

9. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I think it's a uniden radio and he has a 3-4' metal whip antenna on the grab bar over the console. I have the same antenna and a standard horizon radio.