Marine radio?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by poopdeck [patrick], Feb 18, 2009.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I am thinking of buying a marine radio. Are they worth having, is there a fee for using it, anyone else have one?

2. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    I bought a handheld Uniden $99 at Bass Pro 2 yr ago. I use it for weather mostly and to listen to barge and lock traffic, it also will transmitt if needed. haven't used this feature and hope I never have too.

3. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I think anyone who runs a boat on the river should have one. They are free to use and make navigating around the locks and barges a lot safer. Not to mention you can say breaker and 9'er.:smile2: I bought a Lowrance one and it was around 80 bucks. The thing that I didn't realize is that the antennas are about 60 to 100 dollars. You can find some cheaper but I recommend getting a decent antenna.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Do they make handhelds?

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Yep, Gary had one and sold it to Rat. It seemed to do the job but the range wasn't vary far. It works for talking with the lock master but if you are using it to let a barge know that you are in distress you are in trouble with the range it has.

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Handheld radios work good like Ryan said, to communicate with lockmasters and things like that. Basically 5-7 watts of transmission power is gonna give about a line of sight range. Regular marine VHF's are only as good as your antenna mounting. Most of these radios put out around 25 watts, but your transmission power depends on how high you mount your antenna, and what your s.w.r. is. You can get just as good power with a cheap antenna than you can with an expensve one. Just remember the higher off the water line, the better. Still, these radios are good for a few miles in most cases, just like a cb radio, but being that I don't fish around the city much, I wouldn't want to strictly use it to save my life. I'd carry a cellphone just in case. Oh yeah, except for a few channels, I believe your supposed to have an FCC license to transmit. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.:wink:

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO