Marine plywood.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by clintonhawg1, Mar 8, 2007.

1. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Does any one know if menards or lowes carries this marine plywood or will i have to go to a smaller store to purchase on a special order.

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just rebuilt my boat. and, i was told that marine, or treated plywood is'nt what it's cracked up to be. i used regular plywood and treated the heck out of it with thompsons water seal.

3. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Lowes and Home DePot carry Marine plywood down here in Fl..
    have a great day.
    Walter

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    You might have a hard time finding it in Indiana, I know I could not find any around Wichita area when I was looking, without ordering a large quantity, or paying through the nose.

Any reason in particular you are looking at using plywood rather than aluminum?

5. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I can't even ger the lumber yard here to talk about ordering it. How much does it cost ? The boat dealer here says that they get a specially treated wood from the boat factory for replacing decks on Pontoon boats. Does anyone here have any information on this.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Marine plywood is what it is cracked up to be. Its way better then any plywood made here in the USA.
    The misconception people have about marine plywood is that it is a miracle plywood that wont rot.
    MARINE PLYWOOD IS NOT TREATED AND HAS NEVER BEEN TREATED WITH ANYTHING.
    The "marine" in marine plywood is talking about the glue used in the laminations. Its talking about the structurally sound panel, and the lack of voids. (The United States dont have a mill capable).

Thomson water seal isnt for boats. You have to seal plywood and Thomson's doesnt seal. It doesnt form a barrier coat at all.

If I'm building a planing hull I'm using marine plywood and of course marine epoxy.
    Between the two you cant buy a better built boat.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There are numerous sources for marine plywood.
    World Panel and Boulter Plywood are two but not the cheapest.

I order motor freight out of Florida. I dont buy from World panel but buy from a dealer of World panel cheaper.
    World Panel has a facility in NC. I could pay by credit card over the net to Florida with no sales tax, drive two hours and pick it up saving motor freight and the taxes:lol:

Only in Florida that I know of do the box stores stock marine plywood.
    If your supplier dont deal in it dont even let him offer to supply it. Its not a piece of treated plywood, dont look like one, and he'll be scratching his head over that British Lloyds stamp.
    If you dont buy from a dealer of marine plywood you'll easily find yourself ripped off. Maybe not intentionally but because the local dealer may not know as much about marine plywood as you do or you both may not know a thing.

I use Meranti which is several different kinds of tropical hardwooods.
    There is several marine grades of Meranti and there is regular ol Meranti.
    If you arent careful you'll get regular ol Meranti and think you got a deal on price when all you got was a high priced sheet of Luan.

There is tons of information about marine plywood on the internet.
    I also have numerous in depth posts on the BOC regarding marine plywood.

Once you ever saw a piece of marine ply up you wont want to saw anything else.
    The same goes for building a boat. Its actually cheaper to use marine ply then exterior if you want a factory finish.
    It is some very nice wood to work with and every bad characteristic that domestic ply has, marine ply dont have.

The stuff sold for pontoons called "marine" ply is nothing more then treated plywood supposedly without the aluminum damaging chemicals. Its not the real deal but priced as the real deal.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Last we bought years ago. We were still paying $149 per sheet. But then again we were using cypress for the rest of the boat also.
    And mark is so right. Marine blue and not voids.
    Pete

9. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    An excellent informative post from Mark J.. Domestically , Roseburg out of Oregon produces AA -AB-grades of "Fir" marine plywoods. Like Mark mentioned the high quality core is what gives "marine" plywood its essential characteristics.

All domestic plywoods that adhere to the APA(American plywood association) standards and hence the stamp it receives -are made with exterior glues. Stamps on marine plwoods both domestic and imported are clearly marked on the edge of "long side" of the panel.

Domestically- marine panels are sold most comonly in 1/4"- 4 x 8'-12'-14'-16'. 3/8"- 4x8'-12'-16', 1/2"-4x8'/3/4" -4 x 8' -overwidth panels are usually 3/8" 5x8'-5x12'

Most building supply companies at the retail level do not stock the panels because of low demand and pricing. A locally held company is more willing to order panels through brokers or manufactoring centers like "blue link"(GP) or mac millian bloedel than large national chains.

Like Mark J mentioned for uses other than actual hull use Mertanti is the the most practical and cost effective product. Failure or delamination of panels is usually caused when water enters the EDGE of the panels swelling the wood particularly when it encounters voids in lower grade veneers (c-d) .
    You can save alot of $$ by using marine polyurethanes or paints to totally seal out the water on the edges while sealing the flat surfaces and you should have no problems. However if you have continous water contact like hulls I'd strongly recommend "biting the bullet' and using "marine grades. Just my humble .02 from years in the lumber business---good luck---mike

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can buy a Meranti 6566 grade in 1/4" for around 27 a sheet.
    Step up to 1088 grade and the price goes up to about 42 a sheet.
    Or step up to an even lighter 1088 Okoume (Gaboon) panel for 65 a sheet.
    Then you have Sapele most commonly used in boat building and airplane construction.

If you built a boat out of the higher grade Meranti 1088 versus going with exterior plywood the cost will work out to about a 10% difference.
    It costs alot more money in epoxy and fairing compounds to fair exterior then it does marine plywood.
    In the end if you had used exterior plywood, you would have a heavier boat, a boat not nearly as strong, probally not a high level of finish, and alot more time in trying to get a high level of finish.

Marine plywood is a pleasure to use all the way around.
    While domestic plywood markets rise and fall and even go sky high in price after hurricanes the imported marine plywood market is stable as a rock.
    Marine ply prices have risen very little in the last 5 years. We're talking just 2-3 dollars a sheet at most.
    After the most recent hurricanes in Florida the domestic ply prices went so high people were repairing homes with marine plywood.

In the virgin islands your typical house roof (not typical by American standards) is sheeted with 2 layers of 3/4" marine plywood.

In actuality this marine plywood is not as rot resistant as southern yellow pine BUT its construction with more laminations and no voids gives it far more superiority in strength.

Next time you are at the big box look at exterior plywood. 1/4" has 3 pieces and 2 laminations. The inner core will be thicker then the skin and that inner core is junk wood. Its fine in certain boat applications typically in a non planing hull like a canoe or a utility boat but even so when you bend it around frames you dont get a clean bend like you do with marine plywood.

Domestic plywood including fir marine grade will check even with an epoxy coating. Its inherit of the soft woods.
    The imported marine ply doesnt check. An epoxy coating and paint are sufficient to keep moisture and water out.
    the only way to keep the domestics from checking is to glass it.
    Once it is allowed to check water gets in to the inner plies regardless if its exterior ply or not. 20 coats of epoxy and 40 coats of paint it will still check.

Then the difference in milling. These imported plywoods are rotary cut.
    The log spins as a cut is made. Like skinning an apple. Mills that are capable of this method are few in the states and those small mills arent producing marine plywood with the tropical hardwoods.

Like I said, if you've never used imported marine plywood for any project it would be hard to understand the machinability or the bending or fairing . Its something you would have to use just once to be sold on.

America does not produce the best plywood in the world.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    WOW,
    You can learn a lot about plywood here. lol.

12. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Gonna back Mark up here. I have spent the last 10 days researching the stuff on the net and there seems to be no comparing the different stuff. I'm contemplating a boat build myself and will be going for the good stuff. I only may build one boat and i want it to be right the first time.:big_smile:

13. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    When my wife and kids go they go barefoot in the boat and it gets to hot.:smile2:

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Its like a tater chip. You cant build just one. The first one is just the milestone.

15. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana

My wife is afraid you are right.:cool2:

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    What most people do is start out small. Use it for a season and sell it. Any profits adds to a larger boat. After several boats you'll wind up where you want to be in size and alot of experience under your belt in building it.

When you go to sell a boat you built never say its a home built. Say its a custom built boat. It is custom. you dont have to have a company name to build custom boats.There is a stigma attached to homebuilt.
    Have plenty of pictures of the build under construction. ( a build book )
    The build book goes with the boat.

At some point you may wind up owning a yacht yard building custom sportfish boats. The folks that do started somewhere.

17. arja4444

arja4444 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Sean. Lowes and Menards in Indpls do not have marine plywood. I doubt that any of their stores anywhere in Indiana would have it. The only place I could find it was Carter-Lee Lumber on West Washington Street in Indpls. They have it in stock. If you decide you want some, let me know. Me & my fishing buddy are planning on coming over to the "Gathering on the Wabash" the mafia is putting together and I could pick it up and bring it over to you.

18. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Around here you have to pay a very high price for marine plywood and I found it doesn't hold up any better than exterior grade plywood which is a lot cheaper. A friend andI built a one man boat using exterior plywood and we primed and painted it heavy and it worked ok.

P.S. I had a sheet of exterior grade plywood that was uppainted and out in the weather for way over 20 years and it didn't rot.

19. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just picked up a couple sheets of exterior plywood at Lowes in Michigan City, Ind. 3/4 5 ply was 28 a sheet. Boy has it come down in price lately.

20. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Not only for this reason but for quietness. I grew up fishing in wood boats. I wish I had one for my pond. Nothing like a wood boat for pond fishing.