Marine hand held Vhf

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by ping1998, Dec 13, 2008.

1. ping1998

ping1998 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Looking for a hand held vhf that is easy to use and works well any one have any suggestions thanks.

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the posting i,m looking as well:big_smile:

3. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I have the humingbird handheld. I can here alot of what is said on the lake but not allways able to talk back to them. I have a mounted radio in my toon with an 8' antenna. it does better with getting out, only slightly better recieving. I like it for the price, under $100.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jerry, a handheld is limited to only 6 watts power vs the 25 of a mounted unit, and of course they both are basically 'line of sight' operation; so the taller antenna is normally more effective. There are some helpful guides to VHF radios on the West Marine website, for those who may want to do some research before buying.
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...advisor/10001/-1/10001/VHF-HandheldRadios.htm
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...tView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001

Hope this will be of some help...:big_smile:

5. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have had many mounted and handheld units Raymarine,Lowrance, and Uniden and the Uniden have been the best. They have a lot clearer sound on the output end. Meaning whoever is recieving it will understsnd what you are trying to say better. As for the range 5 watt handhelds all reach about the same. My advice is to get one with a Lithium Ion battery.

6. ping1998

ping1998 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks every one i will use your advice