Marine floor vinyl

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Rookie12, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Alright, I got a fairly new boat (2004 I think), but I run it at least once a week and I fish out of it. It ain't nothing fancy, it's my cattin' machine. lol my question is this. The carpet on the front deck of my boat is getting ratty looking already. I think it's because this is where I net bait and land fish and it just gets nasty. I want to take up my carpet and put down some of that good tough marine vinyl flooring that is easier to clean than this carpet. Where can I get it from and how hard of a project would this be? BPS sells it for 30$ for a 6' x 3' sheet, but that sounds kind of high to me. thanks for iyour input.

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Chris, I've never worked with this, but someone will be along to help you out soon I'd bet.

3. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    First off, Can you not take it to the carwash an clean it back up? Marine vinyl I know nothing of, but the word vinyl sound slippery to me. does it have a texture to it? if so OK. If not, not ok. 1st your gonna have to remove the carpet easy enough but then there is going to be a glue under that that will have to be removed or leveled out and thats a Job all in itself. If you put the vinyl down you will have to reglue everything, so its a time consuming job. Carwash and a stiff brush sounds easier to me. I watched a fella one time pull up to where I was bank fishing once he was there to catch bait. He rolled out a tarp over the front of his deck, he had a board mounted at the very back of his front deck..... then he would stand on that catch his bait, throw it in his tank and when he was done he just tipped the tarp over the side and all the water n slime went back in the water............ clean job..

I dont push any product at all, but one of those colored roll on bed liner type of deals might be a better solution to your problem........ JMHO. Want to know what I use just send me a message. Mac

4. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont push any product at all, but one of those colored roll on bed liner type of deals might be a better solution to your problem........ JMHO. Want to know what I use just send me a message. Mac[/quote]

Little Mac why not share with everyone thats what this site is all about

5. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    All the boats I have owned have had the vinyl flooring.I like it,stain,uv retardent-easy to clean-is not slick to walk on even when wet.I don't know where u got a price but at cabela's it only about $21.00 for a 6x3 foot length.(not sure what the glue cost)

6. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    I replaced some in my boat last summer. I googled Marine Vinyl and came up with a couple of sources. The stuff I had in my boat is called Nautolex. Gary's Upholstery Products sells it for $21.99 per yard (72" x 36"). I would order the glue from them too as normal carpet glue doesn't work very well. I ended up using some stuff that resembles rubber cement.

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Thanks for the replies fellas. I thought about the roll on bedliner type material, but it wouldn't do that well on wood. I did discover that I would have to take the entire floor area up and cover it and then lay it back down. It's not that bad on my boat. I figure I could probably do it in a morning if I really got to it. The marine vinyl does have a texture to it and is not very slippery at all. It will cost about 200-300 bucks to do the whole boat so I think I will wiat til' it gets bad and then I'll do it then. I'll probagbly wait at least a couple years. I can make it last til then. later

8. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Little Mac why not share with everyone thats what this site is all about[/QUOTE]

Its not about not wanting to share, its about not wanting to break any rules. LOL......... But Just for you, It is the Tough Stuff from cabelas. I really like it.... I been BOC for nearly 4 years.... I think..... an I would Like to stay another 4. LOL...... Any Mods have a date that I actually joined? From the old board. I would like to put it in my signature... Mac

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A word of caution. Learn by my screw up.
    When you rip carpet out of a boat that has a wood floor you'll be very tempted to start throwing all kinds of chemicals at that glue like thinners and so on.
    Wood floors in boats from all I've seen just have some vinylester or polyester resin sprayed or rolled on them without any cloth (not the best stuff to use anyway, its a poor bond).
    Chemicals will attack this stuff. 2 years later you'll be looking at a reflooring job from rotted floors. Even some glues have been known to not be compatible with the resins causing floor failures. You are on your own when it comes to glues. Manufacturers cant tell you a thing or might tell you anything for a sale.
    You'll have to make some test subjects from wood scraps to get the facts.

10. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Well it sounds better than maxprairethey want 65 $. But you can get that rhino paint for boats in all colors for 60$ a gallon and it will do like a 16x60.