Marine Battery Charging

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by TDawgNOk, Aug 31, 2005.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Is it possible to have your alternater from your car charge your spare marine battery while driving?

My parents and sister do arts and craft shows. They use a marine battery w/ inverter to power the lights for her display. There are times that they are not able to connect the battery to a 110v battery charger, however they always have access to their 2000 C1500 Chevy Suburban.

Any assistance that could be provided would be appreciated.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    There are a couple of gadgets. One is callad a battery isolator, the other is a battery combiner. One is better than the other but I can't remember which! West Marine (Mods delete if inappropriate) has some good info on them and there is a site called iboats (again, mods delete if inappropriate). They have really good forums. Use their search button for battery isolator / combiner. It will throw up masses of info. If Mods edit post PM me and I'll send you the links...W

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I would get a small generator to power the lights. Those inverters run a battery down very quickly.

4. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Grumpy,

Unfortunately most art shows do not permit a generator. That is why they have gone to the battery setup. This setup, because they are using very low wattage lights, does not use much power. They can run their show lights for over 10 hours.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Tdawg,
    do they drive from one show to another hence the need to recharge whilst driving? If not, a 3 stage charger at home would charge them much better. Why not consider a 12v show lights?...W

6. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Metalman, yes, they drive from show to show to show to show to show and so on. They have tried various 12v lighting systems, however they have not found anything that works quite as well as the setup they currently have.

7. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Here is what i do in a pinch if my boat battery is down. I have the exact same battery in my truck so I just switch the truck battery with the boat battery and then while I am getting the boat ready to go I let the other battery charge and then on the drive home it charges completely. I wouldnt recommend doing it allot but if your in a pinch then what else could you do. Remember this sometime it might come in handy. I also carry jumper cables so if my truck wont start then i pull the battery out of the boat and jump my truck....LOL

8. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    The only thing with repeatedly using the truck's alternator to charge the battery is the marine battery probably isn't made for high amperage charging. Most marine batteries recommend slow charging at low amperage. The truck's alternator is going to charge at a higher rate. A 2000 Silverado alternator will put out probably 100 amps or better under load. So, if the battery is weak, the alternator is going to charge higher. Even when the vehicles battery is charged, the alternator will generally still put out 30-50 amps. I don't know what kind of long term effect it would have on the battery or the alternator. But, with that said, if I was really in a bind to go fishing, I would probably do it, but not repeatedly.