Marine Batteries

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Deltalover, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I need to buy two batteries. I need one for starting my outboard, which I guess does not need to be a deep cycle battery. I also need a deep cycle battery to power lights, vhf, stereo ect. I been seeing these batteries that claim to do both. I am generaly skeptical of these claims. I do know that marine batteries have thicker plates and can withstand the abuse better. My motor is a 1970 85hp Johnson. Whats the best deal? Most bang for buck? I do not want to spend 400 bucks on batteries, but I dont want to buy garbage either!
    Thanks!

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    go with a gell batery

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    on my boat one batery runs all the boat an motor, an have 2 bateries for trolling motor. total of three, i will never run any other kind but a blue top optima gell baterys. i even run it in my jeep. i gave $180.oo a piece for them but well worth it as the old saying goes (ya get what ya pay for)gell bateries can take the abuse of beating around in a boat or any other equipment you might want to run. they can be run up side down side ways. they are not weather sinstive so no cold start problems.

4. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    get the blue top or yellow top, best thing going,nice and clean and easy to handle if ya got to take it out for charging. i got a yellow top man that thing is heavey. worth every $$$$$$$$$

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    optima gell bateries come three diferent ways red top = regular batery just gell yellow top = high col cranking amps ( usualy found in drag an race cars) an blue top = deep cycle mariane = witch most people us in boats an troling motors. i also use it in my jeep because i power a winch too.

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Ok Blue top is the way to go. I have heard it before. Whai I am not clear on is this. My understanding is that a deep cycle battery is designed to be completely run down and then recharged. Now with a starting battery, it runs the starter and provides power for ignition electronics. Now my outboard has a charging system that maintains that battery. Is it ok to use a deep cycle battery for that? Should I get the yellow top for starting and the blue top for accessories?
    Thanks for your input!

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i sure don't have a $180 battery lol, but i ran 3 for a while. one duralast starting battery for my 50 hp cranking.

a 115 amp everstart deepcycle for my 40# minn kota troller.

a 95 amp hr deep cycle for lights cd player depth finder spot light ect.....

i found after a while it was a bit much. i never even came close to running down the deep cycles. i went to just the starting and the big deep cycle for the rest. i take it camping with me and never have ran down the big one even all weekend.

now what ya want to buy is a preference. sure the everstarts are cheaper but have a 1 year 100% exchange and a 5 year depreciated return as well. but some folks like the best. just remember that a deep cycle is made to give ya steady amps over a long period of time and a cranking (starting is to give ya a big blast of juice to crank an engine.

as for the ones that do both i never had one but i will never run 1 battery again. stranded to many times with the old boat. now two and a set of booster cables assures me if one is dead ill limp home with the other.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Phillip,
    go to this place. http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/

It is very informative about batteries and will give you lots of good info. There are a lot of myths about batteries, including the one about deep cycles needing to be completely run down. Batteries should never be run right down. One thing I have read about Optima gell batteries that may also be a myth is that they are very sensitive to being overcharged especially when charged by an alternator. Maybe you guys who run them could shed some light on that...W

9. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i have 4 blue top optima bateries an have never had any kind of prob out of any of them. three are in the boat an one in the jeep. every time i come in i plug the on-board charger up , its the dule so it charges both at same time but the motor side stays charged from motor. an the one in my truck, i run a 9000 lbs winch an all the rest of my truck options an have never had a lick of probs. i have 800.oo invested in the 4 bateries an their worth dobble to me, goes to show my faith in um

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thanks metalman, thats the info I was looking for! Thanks everyone for your input!

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Delta,there has been lots of good info posted so far.I would recommend you go to the West Marine web site and read all they have about batteries.Trojan Batteries is another good site.There are basically 3 types of batteries,traditional wet cell,Gel type and AGM.It depends on what you want.If you want the most reserve amps ie life then wet cell is hard to beat.The Trojan SCS 225 has 225 minutes of power at a 25 amp draw.If you want maint free the Gel or AGM is the way to go.AGM is gradually supplanting Gels because Gels were very sensitive to charging amps and many were ruined by being charged by chargers that didn't have a gel setting.99% of all battery problems are caused by sulfation build-up on the plates.Again my advice is go to the various web sites and read up before buying,that way you won't have any problem with the Battery Urban Legends that have been passed from generation to generation.Never assume the alternator on your outboard can keep your battery charged.Many folks have had to row in or be towed that made that assumption.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Thats true Jim, I have both of the batteries on my boat hooked up to a nice onboard charger, it will charge them completely and also you can keep them plugged in all year if you want to, to maintain them.

13. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thank you Jim! That sounds like good information and advice. I will do as you suggest!

14. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    I have used the Blue top Optima on two boats and I would not use any other battery. They last a very long time and can take the abuse of a marine environment.

The blue top are deep cycle/starting batteries. You can check their website for more details but I have used them for starting with zero problems. I called the company just to make sure before I installed them.

Once the battery in my new truck ('05 F-150) starts to show signs of wear, I will replace it with an Optima. I should do it now but I just do not like the idea of trashing the new battery that came with my truck.

Go Optima and you will have no regrets.

Tom

15. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I need some help with some wiring issues, my wife gave the go on getting a jon boat, I have collected some items that I have gotten a good deal on. Here is my question how many batteries would you suggest that I have. Here are the items that I have:

trolling motor 28lbs thrust
    2- blacklights
    1 fishfinder
    2 Whisper Air pumps

I would like to have a power inverter also.

Thanks for the help

chris

16. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Is your boat motor going to be eletric start?

17. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    NO the boat motor will be a manual start, but I might eventually change over to a electric start, I would like to have enough power to be able to add more electronic items.

chris

18. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    chris is your troling motor 12 or 24 volts. if 24 you need 2 bats just for that, an mine is a 12 volt but i run 2 but i got them wired straight pos to pos an neg to neg , all that does is make a day on the lake a full one with out a slugish troling motor a few hours in. but if i was you for noww i would run all but troling motor on one an your troling motor on one or two depinding on if its 24 volts or not like i said if its just 12 you dont need two but after you use it all day you will want two. but anyways i think you need three but will be fine with two. my boat is a jav fish&ski every thing on my boat runs on one bat but the troling motor witch is on 2 an also have an on board charger so after i get home i just plug it in an its ready again in the morning. all three bats are optima deep cycle blue tops.

19. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    My trolling motor is 12 volt, the black lights are not going to take to many volts but I might have another 12 in the boat just to have some extra power. I have heard alot of good things about the Marine Optima batteries.

chris

20. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    chris you wont regret an optina but there not for every one for they are very expinsive. but you also get what you pay for. i use um an wouldent think of useing any other kind. an for your aplication i would use only two.