Marigold help

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by 320hotrod, Jul 9, 2009.

1. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I've got four large pots with filler on the bottom, 6" soil, then 1" potting soil, all filled with marigolds. Two pots grew very well and lush at first, while the other two (which have different "moisture-control" soil) haven't. Of the two good pots, one is shaded half day, other is shaded 1/4 day. Neither have produced flowers yet, and the 1/4 shade plants start looking wilted every morning as soon as the sun hits. I water everyday, but don't know if it's the sun or too much water. The 1/2 day shaded plants are now beginning to do the same. I thought these did well in full sun to partial shade, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any tips or secrets I'm missing here?

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    You water every day? Bingo!

The only time I have seen where watering every day might be acceptable, is when you buy hanging plants with loose potting soil that has a lot of Peat Moss (can't spell or pronounce the real name). In that case, most of the water runs out too easily.

I have found regular soil to not work very good in pots, it packs to hard and water does not absorb well enough. Potting soil usually does quite well alone.

Wilting after to sun gets on them is normal. There is a problem if they are wilted before the sun hits them.

As for blooming, I have a 15 ft row of marigolds that are just now blooming. (St Louis area). I planted from seed straight in the garden. Buying plants from a nursery will give you a much sooner bloom., but alas, you only get what they have to offer.

Marigolds work best in full sun all day, but will work with 1/2 day sun.

3. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Thanks Tom, I'll cut back on the water a bit and see how they do. They sure look great in the evening when the shade hits them, practically flowing over the top of the pots, but when I get home from work at 7:30 in the morning, it's pretty pitiful. Thanks again!

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Brain are these pot's your using plastic or terra cotta? The plastics are so thin and they just suck the moister out of the soil...The terra cota get real hot thru out the day and retain the heat while into the nite time ...I have a couple terra cotta's and i soak the out side of them real good so it help's to keep the mositer in side from drying out

5. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Thanks for the tips guys. I cut back on the water, and here lately it's rained an inch or so every morning followed by hit 'n sticky sun anyways, but now I've got two pots of overflowing flowers. The other two pots still not so good, but there in the back anyways. Thanks again!