Marietta blue catfish poll

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by lebeaux, Aug 9, 2007.

1. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've heard a lot of people claiming to have caught a blue cat from the Ohio River. I believe it. BUT when I hear someone claiming to have caught one North of the OH/ KY border, I become a bit skeptical. Here's why and it's simple. The OH/KY border is the blue cats northernmost range in this part of the country. They thrive in deep water with current. The part of the Ohio River I fish runs by Marietta, Oh. It's not particularly deep, even right above a dam. There's a huge misconception amongst some catfishermen that male channel cats are, in fact, blue cats. I've nearly gotten into heated arguments over this issue. It usually ends when I say,"Take that fish down to the Senecaville hatchery & ask those boys down there what kind of fish it is." Physically,a couple differences are found in the anal fin. A channel cat has 24 to 29 rays in it's anal fin. The fin itself is rounded. The anal fin of a blue cat has 30 or more rays and a straighter edge. Habitat aside, this is the foolproof way to tell the difference. Color really has little bearing on it although there are small differences in coloration between the two.
    That said. Has anyone caught a blue cat in the part of the Oh River I've been fishing? I mean a real, bonified blue cat? If so was it above a dam? Deep water? Whatever info you give up would be appreciated:big_smile: I'm not looking for any secret spots. I don't think they're even in those waters. Just curious if there may be a small pop. in one of the northern pools.

2. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I'd tell you about one from down around Belpre last year, but it sounds like you'd just want to argue about it. :doubt:

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    There might be a chance that there could be blues in that section. As far as the KY/OH border being the northern most range I do think so. West Virgina stocks a maximum of 26,800 blues a year in and below the Belleview pool as a restoration project. But I would say that most of them that are caught in the stretch that you fish are probably male channels. I'm sure that a few maybe blues.

4. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I haven't heard of them north of the Ohio river, but they are heavily stocked in some places, maybe thats where you heard about them being caught. Most of the places where I fish that aren't stocked, like the scioto river, simply fast enough currents or deep enough for blues to like, ive never heard of one caught out of the scioto, but its always possible.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sure they are in your area. Like Jason said West Virginia has been stocking them since 2005. The farthest north is in the Belleville Pool and that goes all the way to the Willow Island Dam. It shouldn't be to hard to believe that they could possibly be in the mouth of the Muskingum. The stocking program is to end in 2009. The W. Virginia Blue cat record is 36.5 pounds. You should be able to beat that at old lock 21! :wink:

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Man that avatar has got to be the ugliest WWII cannon I have ever seen! Bent barrel, crooked wheels... but I'd sure like to light that big fuse.... oops, that's your nose!:eek:oooh:

7. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    According to the 2007 WV fishing regulations, The WV Blue cat record is 36.5 inches....24.37 pounds....from the Ohio river in 2005. That should be even easier to beat!

8. dnighty

dnighty New Member

State:
    IN
    if you can find a hole with 40 foot of water on the river you should be able to catch a blue

9. fishdaddy

fishdaddy New Member

State:
    w.va.
    theres blues in the tug river.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Chris. I should have read more carefully.:big_smile:

11. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Had no idea that WV was stocking blues. That's good to hear. That's why I started this thread...for some info... not to argue. Sorry you mistook scientific fact for arguing.

12. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So, if I put in on the Ohio side and catch a 26 pounder can I go out on the West Virginia side and get the State record?
    Ohio DNR doesn't list a record for Blue Cats, so if I catch one any size I guess it would be a record.

13. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    No matter what size you caught it can not be an Ohio record. A blue cat is not a recognized species in Ohio. Therefore there will never be a record for them here. Unless the state decides to recognize them. Now however if you did catch one larger then the current West Virginia record while on the Ohio I do believe you would be eligible for a record.

14. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    any blue cat caught in state waters has to be released immediatly in ohio ,they are on the endangered species list.

15. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    The Ohio river is not Ohio state waters, it belongs to the neighboring states, thats why records caught in the Ohio river goes to WV or KY. I have caught blue cats in the Ohio river around the Gallipolis area and below the R.C. Byrd dam in the 5 to 10lb range while drift fishing with cut bait. Probably some of those WV stocked blues with 30 or more rays and a streight anal fin.

16. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    That is what I was thinking also, but if you look at the records the longnose gar record came out of the Ohio. Boy am I ever confused. I sent an email to the record fish committee chairman so hopefully he can shed some light on this subject.

17. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Ok here is the response that I recieved from the committee chairman.

As long as the angler has a valid Ohio fishing license and is fishing the main stem of the Ohio River, that catch will be accepted by the State Record Fish Committee.
    Good Fishing,
    Tom Cross
    Chairman, State Record Fish Committee

18. Barillms

Barillms New Member

State:
    Steubenville OH
    So, if I catch a flathead or channel cat in the Ohio River... That were to be a state Ohio state record, it wouldn't count? I'm an Ohio resident? It has to count if my feet are standing on Ohio land?

If you are an Ohio resident, and catch a WV record fish in the river.. You can turn it in, as long as you have a WV fishing license. If you only had an Ohio fishing license, and tried to turn in a WV state record fish out of the river... You would get rejected like Steve Douglas did with his WV Blue Cat record. He did not have a WV license & tried turning in a fish. Bummer big time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2014
  19. Wildwv

Wildwv New Member

State:
    Wv
    If I'm not mistaken Steve got neglected because he is not an Ohio resident, if you are an Ohio resident then I believe your license is valid..

20. Barillms

Barillms New Member

State:
    Steubenville OH
    WV DNR have been stocking blue cats for years below Marietta. Although electro-fishing studies have not yielded many blue cats caught during the test. The electronic shock signal only penetrates the water down to 15 feet or so, so perhaps the blue cats are present... Maybe they're just much deeper than the shock will reach?

Here's a Quote from the 2005-2009 Revised Ohio River Fishery Management Plan:

Blue Catfish:

"Ohio River: Blue catfish restoration will be focused on the Ohio River reach inclusive and downstream of the Belleville Pool. A maximum of 26,800 individuals will be stocked annually."

The quote above tells us they have been stocking them in the Belleview pool and BELOW. It does not say how many they put into each pool. It only says almost 27,000 fish will be stocked annualy from 2005-2009.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This article BELOW was written in 2013. It talks about stocking the Northern WV pools and mentions both the Pike Island and New Cumberland pools. I live in the Pike Island pool (about 2 hours north of Marietta) and we do not have any blue cats up this way. At least i know of none that have been caught in recent years.

Link:
    http://www.wvgazette.com/Outdoors/201307270094

Here's a quote from the 2013 WV Gazette article:

"We wanted to build the population in the lower river and then gradually move our stockings upriver. We've been stocking 100,000 to 150,000 blue cats a year ever since."

True to their plan, DNR officials have made subsequent stockings in the Racine pool upstream from the Byrd Locks and in the Belleville pool upstream from the Racine Locks.

"This year, we plan to put some in the Pike Island pool, the New Cumberland pool, or both," O'Bara said.

- See more at: http://www.wvgazette.com/Outdoors/201307270094#sthash.7YsWG8Wi.dpuf