Marias Des Cyne / Bates County Drainage ditch

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bhuey29, Jul 22, 2009.

1. bhuey29

bhuey29 New Member

State:
    Excelsior SpringsMissouri
    Hey all,

Drive over this thing at least once a month. Anyone had any luck fishing looks fairly wide, how deep is it. Just wondering Thanks for the help.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Brad, I used to stop by there (Highway 71 crossing) and bank fish and talk to the guys putting boats in. It's fairly shallow in places, but they catch tons of small bluecats in the 5-8lb range all summer long. Bigger fish are relatively rare, but are certainly possible, especially when the blues head upstream from Truman to spawn in mid to late May.

3. bhuey29

bhuey29 New Member

State:
    Excelsior SpringsMissouri
    Thanks for the info. I have also heard in the past few days that this area was the original running area for Spoonbill. Can they still be caught here. I have seen people bank snagging while driving by during season so they must hook some.... Any ideas???

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Don't know too much about spoonbill right through there, but they catch them further upstream in Kansas below a couple of the dams in the spring, so they must at least pass through that section..

5. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Used to be a great fishery before the channelized the drainage ditch. Took out alot of structure. Like Gary said it can get real shallow in places, but it's a fun little river to run around on. Best time to fish it is early to late spring. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

6. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    We used to fish, I can’t remember if the Drainage Ditch sits south of Marias des Cyne or Marias des Cyne sits south of the Drainage Ditch, but we fished the one that was south back in the 70’s, back then there was a dead end outer road along the NB 71 where you could park next to the river or there was a farm field entrance on the SB side of 71 where you could enter and follow the farm road south near the southern most river, west of 71. It looks like its all overgrown with trees and brush along the west side now, not sure if that farm road still exists.

Back then we were able to wade across (I believe it’s the Drainage Ditch) and set trot lines about 0.25-0.50 miles west of 71 and caught a lot of small channel cat. If you go on just west of there there was a set of riffles and the water got deeper. The Ditch looks wider and deeper now!

We used to fish the Marias des Cyne a few miles back west of 71 with a boat and caught some nice sized channel and flathead, using trotlines and cane pole bank lines.

Check out another thread on Marias Des Cyne. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95721