marias des cygnes

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by MDC river runner, Jun 12, 2009.

1. MDC river runner

MDC river runner New Member

State:
    kansas
    Its been a slow year. I havent even got my bait tank set up yet. But thats going to change this weekend. Between work and a new baby on the way i havent even got my cat rods out yet. Im going to get the tank running, go hit some holes for bait and get on the river this weekend. Plan on setting some limb lines set on the marias des cygnes river, then getting the big boat out and head up to melvern lake and drift the flats through the night while the lines are soaking. I have done quit a bit of bass fishing but no cat fishing yet.

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey David, welcome to the BOC. I have been wanting to get out on the MDC, let us know how you do. Good luck!!

3. MDC river runner

State:
    kansas
    got my bait tank set up today before i had to go to work, now i need to go hit a few ponds and stock up on bait.

4. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    Hit the Marias des cygnes last night rod & reel fishing for some flattys. First five minutes there hooked a 5lb flatty then nothin else the rest of the night:big_smile: oh well it gave me hope to keep comin back!

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    my nighbor told me earlyer, when i got home from stl, that he read in the local paper that someone cought a 77# blue down by oz. :angry:and filled it:sad2:

6. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    That sucks...I really dont know why you would keep a fish that big:confused2: It would of been nice to catch one that big in there...

7. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    why the heck would you keep a fish that big,, i mean the eatin sucks and why not give someone else a chance to experience the tug of a giant at the other end of the line, and let the fish get more of its genes into the fishery.

8. MDC river runner

State:
    kansas
    anything over 40 gets turned back after a few pics. A buddy of mine caught a 56lb flatty out of the mdc last week.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    You got that right. That could have been the fish in my avitar pic, probaly not but it won't be in my new picure. :angry: hopefully it got to spawn one last time before it was butchered. Ps the mdc is at flood level in spots and probally gonna be in others soon and wouldn't doubt if it's like that for a while.

10. MDC river runner

State:
    kansas
    3 inches of rain last night, im not sure weather to chance setting lines and melvern letting out water and loosing my lines or wait a while. Ive got about 40 bullheads and 10 gills in the tank waiting for a hook, i guess i will do a little rod and real fishing.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    id wait its still going up see http://www.thetent.com/thetent/aogcr/ks/kssf_index.htm

12. MDC river runner

State:
    kansas
    melvern lake is still almost a food below normal pool and they cut back release rates to almost nothing, im going to give it a few days and get the lines out.

13. MDC river runner

State:
    kansas
    been running lines for the past few days. Nothing caught worth talking about. Biggest flathead was about 15lbs. Caught quite a few channels that were taking bait bigger than they could swallow. Caught about a 10lb blue also. I think the big ones are spawning right now. Going to set some tonight and do a little bank fishing.

14. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    My girlfriend's brother, his friend and I set some lines on the MDC over the weekend and KILLED it! 15 blue (biggest was 30+ but they averaged about 10), 7 channel (biggest was 10 and averaged about 6) and 3 flats (6, 7 and 9 lbs). Some of those were on rod & reel though. We were somewhere by Fontana. I'm just waiting for the email with the pics and I'll get them posted.

p.s. - every single one of the blues and flats were females that already dropped their eggs, I think the males were still on the nests.

15. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I've pretty lazy doing mostly lake fishing this year and need to get on the MDC and tag a few bigger cats, if I can remember how. Give me a shout next time your heading that way and maybe we can meet up have a few laughs and maybe even catch a few fish. I need to put a little stain on my new reels and see how they handle it any way. Not to mention I'm sure a few good tips wouldn't hurt.

16. MDC river runner

State:
    kansas
    Still no big flatties. Still on nests right now and its pretty slow. Catching some small ones, channels and a few blues but nothing worth mentioning. Oh well its still better than working. Headed out on Melvern lake to do a little night fishing this evening.

17. KAW RIVER KILLER

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Finally got the pics from our catch over 4th of July. Still haven't got the pic of me holding the big blue. We would have CPR'd that one, but she rolled the log over that the line was tied to and we couldn't find it until the end of the day on Saturday and she had been on there since early evening Friday and was barely moving. We couldn't get her to liven up at all, twas a shame:sad2:.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww252/kawriverkiller/021.jpg

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww252/kawriverkiller/022.jpg

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Quite a haul Garen. Congrats !!! :big_smile:

19. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Man thats a heck of a haul! I'm assuming you ran some lines?

20. KAW RIVER KILLER

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Yup, 100% legal lines as well. We were commissioned to put a fish fry together. 6 or 7 of those came on rod and reel.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009