Marias Des Cygnes - Good spots?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by GreenDog, Jun 30, 2009.

1. GreenDog

GreenDog New Member

State:
    Olathe
    Hey guys... I wanted to do some flathead fishing and I live out in the Olathe area... I figured I would head out to the Marias Des Cygnes. I have never been there before but I have heard there are some nice Flatheads.

Anyone want to reveal any good spots????

Thanks!

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Good Luck with that.:wink:

3. GreenDog

GreenDog New Member

State:
    Olathe
    Thanks!:big_smile:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am sure there will be lots of people from that area willing to give you there best flathead spots.

5. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    from what i know of the MDC, wherever you can get to on it is a decent to good spot

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sorry sean but there was a little bit of sarcasim in that post.:eek:oooh: sharing ones spot on here would mean certan death to their spot:sad2: sorry good luck on FINDING a spot:wink:

7. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Spots, never seen spots on a flathead :wink:......them are channel cats, young channel cats. Seriously though, I have only fished it a few times right above Melvern. Caught a few smaller ones, around ten lbs., no bigguns though. Good luck and let us know.

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You can fish the dam in Ottawa or Oswatomie there are some good flatheads in there just hard to find them if you don't know the river. I suggest heading in the other direction and fishing the Kansas river. You might try the Bowersock dam in Lawrence its not any further from Olathe then the MDC is. :big_smile:

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Marais Des Cynges is a tough river to bank fish Sean. You really need a small flat bottom to get back in there and explore. Then you run into the problem with landowners comin down the bank with the double barrel. My advice, find another river. Its a good flathead river, but too many obstacles to get to the good spots. I dont even fish that river much anymore. Good luck. :big_smile:

11. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Oh yea make sure you have some good boots or waders. Most of the bank is solid mud on the MDC.

12. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've never fished it before, but the best advice I could give you is checking out aerial photo's. From the sounds of it there's not much bank access, not a suprise for Kansas, but if you have a boat looking at aerial photo's will help eliminate stretches of the river and you can highlight several spots that are worth checking out.

13. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Theres public access at Trading Post on hiway 69 at wildlife refuge.

14. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The lowhead dam at Osawatomie and at Ottawa are good spots. I would probably try Osawatomie, you can fish right below the lowhead dam there. Its by the old creamery, I want to say go right off of 12th street off the main drag and go over the bridge and you will see the dam on your left. The Ottawa lowhead dam is pretty tough to fish and there are usually alot of people there.

15. GreenDog

GreenDog New Member

State:
    Olathe
    Thanks.... I will try this out! :)

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    then you better try on 8th street because 8th st dam is on 8th :smile2: not 12th:wink:

17. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    8th street it is, I couldn't remember what street it was :wink:

18. GreenDog

GreenDog New Member

State:
    Olathe
    We went out and tried this spot out... I don't think the locals tend to like out of towners :big_smile:

We caught a lot of nice catfish tho.....

19. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

Next time try not to look like an out-of-towner!:wink::smile2:

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea you got to sit in the parking lot with at least a case of beer and not fish.