marias de sygnes river

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by charbob4jesus, Oct 24, 2008.

1. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    do any of the local KS or MO fishermen know a good spot to fish at on this river?

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The upper part of Melvern lake has some great spots.

3. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    do the river fish tend to travel up or down streem? does any one know?

4. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    We fished the Marais Des Cygnes back in the 70’s, somewhere south of 52 highway between Amoret and Butler.

We camped near a rural wooden plank bridge. To put the boat in we would back just off of the gravel road and shove the boat off of the trailer onto the dirt bank and then down the bank about 40 feet to the water. To get the boat out we would hook a cable to the boat and run it through a block in tackle in a tree at the top of the bank near the road and use the truck to pull it up the bank and then put it back on the trailer once we got it back up to the road.

I’ll try and attach a photo of one my father and a friend caught on cane pole bank line way back then, using a goldfish.

I’m not familiar with the area any longer but you could probably get a county map from the county courthouse or use mapquest to coordinate the roads and the river and then use that info to scout it out.

There were a lot of shallow and rifle areas up and down the river and you usually couldn’t get up or down the river more than a mile or two without running into them.

We sometimes camped along the east side of 71 highway on an old dead end outer road and fished west of 71 highway some areas along that section were shallow enough we could wade across it and put in trot lines, to catch a fair amount of channels.

There was a good set of riffles about 1/4 -1/2 mile east of 71 highway.

Forgot to mention the Marais Des Cygnes can rise real fast at times.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      17.1 KB
      Views:
  5. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    that is awesome man i love the pic. looks like a good piece of heaven to me. i fished there once this summer and hit it big with the channels. I,m looking to scout for the flatties this time.

6. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The place DoubleD is talking about is a few miles south of Virgina City which is almost exactly half way between Amoret and Butler on 52 highway. Its the only highway that runs out of that tiny town. The bridge is now a modern concrete one but you can still back a boat down a small dirt road beside the bridge. DoubleD is sure right about that river coming up fast. The fishing can be very good there and also south of Butler where it goes under highway 71. There's a Missouri conservation area there with a boat ramp and primitive camping area. The 60 pound Flathead in my avatar came from that river but I caught it close to the state line on the Missouri side. The river isn't very wide but has some holes as deep as 20 feet in places. I've caught some real nice blues and flatheads using crawdads around riffles and shad on the edge of deep holes. There is also a ramp on the Kansas side close to a small town called Trading Post.

7. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks alot brother. Im gonna do my fishing under the 69 bridge by trading post. Nailed lots of channel, but no flatties or blue . Better luck next time i guess.