March 9 and 10 James River report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    What a difference a day makes. Spur of the moment my brother and I fished Friday afternoon from 3:00 pm until 6:00 pm. Launched from Deep Bottom. Bait was easy to find. I caught a 36 pounder within ten minutes. We then caught 5 or 6 teenagers. At 5:30 my brother gets a 40 pounder. Every spot we fished produced fish. We are very pumped for the morning bite. Saturday we launch at first light from Deep Bottom. Five kazillion gizzard shad are at the ramp to bait was a snap with the gill net. Set up and fishing by 6:30. We tried the good old spots and a few new spots. We fished until 11:00. We only caught two small 1-2 pound cats. Leaving I noticed Deep Bottom lot was full of boats. How did everyone do?
    Kenneth

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Ken,

Nice trip, nothing like starting the year off good. The weather this weekend has been great. I will not be going out for another couple of weeks.

3. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Kenneth , it was good to meet you at DB on Sat. morning, We had a slow day too , 3 fish under 10 all day weather man missed the 5 to 10 real bad.See you on the river!

4. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    The best is yet to come!!! Shad , Rock, and big cats all snapping at the same time. We are lucky to live where we do.

5. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Thanks for the post guys I might have to give that afternoon bite a try when I come down in a couple of weeks.I usually fish the morning till about three in the afternoon.Any tips for catching them rockfish?

6. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    In the early morning the stripers sometimes chase shad on the flats. Look for diving gulls. When a school is on the flats, you can catch them on white bucktail 1/2 ounce jigs.
    I ususally set up catfishing where I can fish a hole that I can also reach some shallow water. Throw a bait or two in the shallow water and if a striper is around, he will find it. I like to fish the cutbait for stripers up off the bottom a foot or so using a three way swivel. Smaller bait and smaller hook. Most of the stripers I caught last year where 2-7 pounds but did get one hog 30 pounder striper. Remember, our striper season doesn't start until mid May so turn them loose after a picture. Have fun!

7. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea I caught a 22lber up there in a cut bettween the barge pit and the main river. To bad had to let it go.