March 20 James River fishing trip

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    So pretty yesterday, I had to go. I couldn't find anyone as sorry as me that could go on the spur of the moment so I went solo. I launched from Deep Bottom. Bait was a breeze, I didn't even need to set the gill net. Threw the cast net 4 times and had a plenty. River temp has dropped to 48 from 51 last Thursday before the big rain. River is still stained and loads of wood floating around. I fished from 3 PM until 7 PM. I caught a nice 32 pounder, two at 20, and one around 10 pounds. I had one small rod with small bait near the bank and caught a dink striper. Saw loads of mid level fish on the fishfinder in the channels everywhere I went. Stripers? Shad?

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Ken,

Thanks for the report. I don't know what type of fish they could have been, maybe shad, or perch?

3. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    I will start hitting that area in a couple more days. :smile2:

4. sccrstar011

sccrstar011 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I went fishing on the 20th as well. I was fishing from the bank in Lynchburg. The river was pretty high with a swift current. Didn't get a chance to catch any fish because I caught a summons from the DGIF officers that informed me that my license had expired:angry:. Didn't know it had already run out.

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    That sucks. How much is the ticket? From here on out, a license is good for a year from the date you buy it.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Kenneth, you're killing me with these reports! Sounds like the James is heating up and I'm sitting at home waiting for my boat to be delivered! Hope to get out there in a week or two though.

Congrats, keep slaying those fish!

7. sccrstar011

sccrstar011 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The fine is $144.50 :eek:oooh:. There goes a chunk of the tax refund. I'm gonna go to court to see if it gets thrown out seeing as how it was an honest mistake and I bought a license on my way home.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Last year my brother got a ticket on the Rappahannock for not having a saltwater license. Game warden wrote the ticket but told my brother to buy a license and email a copy to him and the ticket would go away. It did because the wardens would rather you buy a license because the game commission gets that money. A fine in court goes to the county's general fund, game commission gets none of it. Call the warden. Game commission in Richmond will give you his number if you don't have it , (804) 367-9369, call the warden and see if he will cut you the same deal the warden down here did for my brother. Good luck.

9. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What the hech good does it do for the DGIF to get the money only to have the gov. officials raid the DGIF treasury and put the money in the general fund like they did several years ago.
    Now that they have a surplus in the budget do you see them replaceing the funds they stole from the Va Hunters and Fishermen.....Hell no i'm still mad about that and I don't see it getting any better.
    Licence fees should go to support the people who pay them. I think a Va. public ramp downriver would be a better expence of our money than some BS social program.

Why would he cut the deal when he knows you are going to have to buy the fishing licence anyway or risk another ticket.The warden might do it but he will will win either way.

10. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I think the raiding of the funds is over for now. I am all for buying a license knowing the money goes directly to the fish and game department, because I do most of my fishing in lakes that are owned by the State. But, it would be nice if the F&G department did receive general fund money.

11. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Amen Brutha,,, the hunters and fishermen just keep getting the back of the hand .and we are funding the hand.I

12. sccrstar011

sccrstar011 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yeah and it looks like I'm getting ready to fork out $150 to the state. Oh well I reckon there are worse things in life......like not being able to fish.