Marais Des Cygnes

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by bluebasser86, Jun 18, 2017.

1. bluebasser86

bluebasser86 Active Member

State:
    Lane, kansas
    Name:
    Clayton
    Spent a few hours on the river on Friday and caught several healthy little blues on cut bluegill. Missed a bunch of bites too. There were gar everywhere, so that might have been what was running and then not there when I set the hook. All returned to get bigger.
    [​IMG]

2. arky

arky Well-Known Member

State:
    kansas
    Name:
    David
    Tasty size!

3. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Beautiful baby blue. Momma blue would be proud.

4. kankat

kankat Member

State:
    Kansas
    Name:
    Cory
  5. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    KS
    Name:
    Jay
    Were you been fishing the MDC for best results? Not spot just area.

6. bluebasser86

bluebasser86 Active Member

State:
    Lane, kansas
    Name:
    Clayton
    I have not honestly fished it much at all. We just moved to the area a little over a year ago and with a 1 year old at home, my river exploring time has been very limited. I caught those ones right below the 8th street dam in Osawatomie.

Catpaw likes this.
  7. Mosquito Creek Crawler

Mosquito Creek Crawler Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Name:
    Larry
    I'll be trying the 8th St dam shortly now that the water is warming up. There are not many places to fish the MDC as the bank to center of river is all privately owned. Even IF you get permission of a land owner, unless you know there's a deep hole in their section of river, you might just be fishing a shallow spot w/ no activity.

Catpaw likes this.
  8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    There is better access by bank in Ottawa. 3 low water dams.

9. Mosquito Creek Crawler

State:
    Kansas
    Name:
    Larry
    Thanks. I'll have to ck out what's happening on Ottawa. I did try the spillway in Osawatomie towards the end of April, but I think the water was still too cold. Under 60 IIRC. There is also a huge log jam there that makes fishing difficult. We've had little rain so the water's not moving much. There may be some flatheads in the log jam, but getting the bait to them is tough w/out losing your rig.

I'm catching lake Channel's now that the water has finally warmed to 65+.

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Larry try a Kat Bobber from Wild Wolf Products , you can google them and find them. Toss a live 6+" green sunfish 3 ft under the kat bobber right next to that log jam ... preferably at night time, you can insert a 8" glowstick in the bobber to see it good.... hold on tight ! good luck

11. Mosquito Creek Crawler

State:
    Kansas
    Name:
    Larry
    Thanks KC J. I actually have some DIY noodle bobbers. Bobbering bait in front of the jam may have worked. By the time the water warmed up, the spring rains never came. I never went back and moved onto lake fishing. Maybe this fall.
    I noticed about 3 weeks ago that the jam was swept away. The problem w/ trying to bobber bait at this spillway is the water is about 15' - 20' deep and the Flats like to find a hole down in the bottom. But, I love bobbered bait. Caught 4 eater channels and a 20" 3lb Bass at a 20 acre community lake Sunday night using bobbered bluegills.