Maps N stuff

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Larry Collier, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    When I get the urge to fish new water, or figure out where the fish went, I take a quick look at an online topo map.

http://www.topozone.com/states/Oklahoma.asp

And sometimes just for the fun of it I go onto Google Earth and zoom around looking for places I may be overlooking.

Best to Ya's

Larry

2. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Thanks fer the link Larry,very cool:cool2:

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Thanks for the site...:smile2:

4. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thanks for the site. I use the Oklahoma Atlas and Gazetteer for most of my exploring. Always keep one in my truck.

5. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Glad you guys liked the site. The online maps do okay but you can't beat a real topo map.

Until my brother asked me to show him how to read a topo map I didn't realize there were some people who were confused by them.

Basically the measurements on the lines mark the elevation/altitude above sea level. On a lake map that would mean the higher the number the more shallow the water.
    Where lines are farthest apart indicates very little change or flats and where they are closest together indicates a rapid change or dropoff. Maps can be marked in various intervals but online 10' lines are the norm.
    Often there are lines that aren't marked. From the shore out into the water there may be 2 lines indicating a 20' change in depth, and an oval shaped area that isn't marked which could be either a hump or a deeper depression. More often than not it is a hump but I have located a few that were deeper water that used to be a farm pond.
    Thats probably as clear as mud but maybe it will help someone!

Best to Ya

Larry