mapping a lake

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by photocat, Jul 9, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I didn't know where else to put this so i decided this was as good as any a place to go...

The local lake thats by me has no map of the bottom... the only maps available are really small and just show the outline of the lake... I want to be able to map out the lake so i know where to fish not only from shore but also in my little jon boat so i don't have to waste time looking for something by weaving back and forth in my boat...

ANY SUGGESTIONS????? I want as accurate a map as i can get...

2. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    the only thing i could say is to buy a fish finder or keep an eye open for structure......or any breaks in current or water color where silt settles to the bottom........do you know anybody thats fished it before?? if so i would just ask them where they had the best luck

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I've fished the lake many times and i have spots that produce... but thats all from shore and i want to figure out why they produce... I have a depthfinder too and it works well and i can find things but i want to be able to map it out so that i can eliminate unproductive waters for the day etc... and find other areas that seem to be the same.

I almost want to have someone help me with a walkie talkie. 100 yards of line and a protractor and go and have them stand on shore at a specific point, have the line marked in 10 ft incriments and go along and just mark every 20 degrees for up to 50 ft out then every 10 degrees till 300 ft out as i go along... What do you guys think? it'd be time consuming but i think it'd give fairly accurate results, esp if i can find a scaled map of the lake itsself to be able to place the depths on once i get them...

Any other ideas are welcomed... so please share what you've got