Maple River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by McCatfish11, Jun 23, 2007.

1. McCatfish11

McCatfish11 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I'm new to this site and seen that none of you talk about the maple river. That is the only place I know to catfish. I've heard the Grand, but never really gotten around to trying it. So does anyone fish the maple? and with any success?

2. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hi Andy,
    Yes, a number of us have fished the Maple- some of us many times- we just don't have any active members right now who use it as their primary fishing grounds. That's probably because good bank access is hard to find, and boat navigation is difficult due to log jams & shallow water.
    If you have access to decent riverfront property, we have 8 or 10 guys who would love to come spend a night giving it a try! :>)

Please, let us know how the Maple is working out for you, it used to be a great catfish river.

In my personal experience, it was a lot better before the Rainbow Lake dam burst (1987?), but maybe it's gotten better by now.

Welcome to the MI BOC,
    Tony

3. McCatfish11

McCatfish11 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Well Tony,
    You see compared to some of you guys the maple really isn't working out all that well. We've still, in the 3 years we have been spending weekends out there, have not landed a flathead. We go out of Maple Rapids and fish the camp sites there, but recently we started taking boats down river to find new places that are not fished as much, and the number of channels we catch has went up, but still no flatheads. I hear that there are plenty in there from other people I talk to on the river. It is a great time out there though.

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    I fear that the Maple is fished very hard by a lot of folks who keep pretty much everything and release pretty much nothing- a great way to ruin a small fishery like the Maple.
    I know someone who has witnessed considerable illegal fishing there, too, like set lines, trot lines, and netting.
    There may still be good fish in there, but they will be in the places that are very hard to access.
    Good luck,
    Tony

5. McCatfish11

McCatfish11 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I have seen illegal fishing out there. I guess I just assumed that all rivers had people like that. I'm gonna keep fishing it though. How can I fish it for four years and give up with out even a picture of me and a flathead? Just cant let it happen

6. MapleRiverCatHooker

MapleRiverCatHooker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    We'll just have to move farther downriver.

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    All rivers do, but the Maple is fairly small and has limited access, so the effects are greater.
    I've only fished it once since the '90s, so there's surely folks who know more about it than I do.

8. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    the best spot i know of on the maple is between the mouth, and the first island upstream. a friend of mine lives right there, and has been very successful with the flatheads in the area. nothing super huge, 10# and under, but still flatheads. Like tony, i have limited experience on the maple, and have only fished it a few times. keep us all informed if you find the "honey hole" of flatties.

9. McCatfish11

McCatfish11 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    it will be found this weekend. I got scheduled to work on Sunday so I only got friday night and some of Saturday, but I got a good feeling about this weekend and I've been bait fishing all week. So hopefully I'll have a picture of my first flathead on sunday

10. MapleRiverCatHooker

State:
    Michigan
    I as well will hit the maple up pretty hard this weekend. Thinking big bluegills and and shiners will do the trick...but who knows.

11. MapleRiverCatHooker

State:
    Michigan
    One more thing, is it true flatties can detect movement on shore? And how greatly does this affect your fishing for them? Anyone have any tricks that they use to minimize noise and vibrations? Or is this not true?

12. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    You know, I don't know for sure if they can detect movement, but I always figured the less noise I make, the less chance I'll spook something.
    Besides, one of the things I like best about catfishing is the peace & quiet.

13. Dave200518

Dave200518 New Member

State:
    Ashley, Michigan
    My primary spot is on the maple river. So far I have only gotten out once to my usual honey hole and never even got a single hit from 7pm-2am. We usually fish for channels, but this year I am going after the all mighty flathead.
    Where I fish on the maple, it is usually around 2'-3.5' deep. As someone previoulsy stated the maple gets very shallow this time of year, sometimes around 4 inches deep. There are tons of log jams, but if you can find a hole deeper than 5' you will be in business.
    Hope this helps,

Dave

14. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Thanks Dave,
    This is great having a few Maple River guys contributing. Remember, you don't have to give away your favorite spots, just let us know how the fishing is going for you. Stuff like what baits were hot, whether the fish were deep or shallow, time of day/night that was working- this is info we can all use where we fish.
    Good fishing to you,
    Tony

15. Dave200518

Dave200518 New Member

State:
    Ashley, Michigan
    Well my first trip was last friday 6/22 and we had 6 poles out (3 guys) and we each had both crawlers and chicken liver on. I am thinking it was too cold out at night (50 degrees). Hopefully Saturday will be different.

16. McCatfish11

McCatfish11 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    We've been strugglin there 2. 5 or 6 channels a night. Nothing real big though, all in the 2-5 pound range

17. Dave200518

Dave200518 New Member

State:
    Ashley, Michigan
    hey catfish11,where on the maple are you fishing?

18. MapleRiverCatHooker

State:
    Michigan
    We fish it in Maple Rapids...shallow water and way overfished.

19. Dave200518

Dave200518 New Member

State:
    Ashley, Michigan
    yeah, maple rapids is WAY over fished. I have tried to fish there a few times, but is way too crowded and I didn't feel like fighting over spots with people.
    But, I have heard of some good flatheads in the past coming out of there.

20. MapleRiverCatHooker

State:
    Michigan
    Yup...have heard the same..Actually going out there tonight for strictly flatheads.....gonna take the ol' boat to find deeper water and see what that does for us....