Maple river report 4/29/2006

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by Dave200518, May 1, 2006.

1. Dave200518

Dave200518 New Member

State:
    Ashley, Michigan
    Fished a new spot on the maple river this Saturday. We got 2 nice channel cats and 3 nice pike. Cats came on crawlers and chicken liver.

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Nicely done Dave! Keep us posted on the Maple fishing, we'll keep you updated on the Saginaw Bay.
    Sparky

3. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Hey Dave, let me know when the flatheads turn on for you. That is the only place that I've caught a flathead in this state, but I hope to change that real soon.

4. Dave200518

Dave200518 New Member

State:
    Ashley, Michigan
    hey dreamcatcher, what bait do use for flatheads in the maple? What type of structure should I be looking for? I have never caught a flathead out of the maple before, just channels.
    Any info would be awsome.

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Dave, I only caught one in five visits, and it was with a bluegill. That's not to say that's the only way that they can be caught, and you should try anything that you find hopping, swimming, crawling or flying. LOL. Cut bait is supposed to be good during the spawn. Sal lives in the area, he'll chime in I'm sure....

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Ya know where the flats are on US-27? In the southeast of the flats are a bunch of good holes for gills. Or (since you're in Ashley anyhow) if you know Rollie and Donna Marignac real well and ask nicely sometimes they will letcha take a few out of their pond.

Take the gills to either Bliss/Tallman road and fish about 400 yards to the west from the access on the south side of the river (you will see where folks set up out there) OR beyond the downed trees in the water to the left of Dexter's Bridge off maple Ave to the west of Maple Rapids OR on Carbody curve on the same stretch (first 2-lane access- dont drive back there or you will learn why they call it "Carbody Curve").

If you can get to the last access on maple road before the dead end, walk the riverside trail till you get to the point in the river. From there, you can set your gills under any of those trees and do alright too.

I have a few other spots around the area too, but those are fun holes that you need a boat to access.

-Sal

For tips on using gills and hooking them most effectively for presentation, Give me a jingle- Trust me when I tell you it is easier to show than explain, and Im not that far off from Ashley for you to take a spin in the car out to my place and check out my "fishing lair".:tounge_out: LOL 875-4044

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    By the way.... the fishing sucked last night- 5 hours, 5 hits. Nothing stuck.

8. Dave200518

Dave200518 New Member

State:
    Ashley, Michigan
    yeah Sal, I know the marignac's pretty well. I pulled a 15 inch crappie out of that pond before. Maybe we'll have to meet up and go for some cats.
    Also, thanks for the info brother.