Maple Island Ramp

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by FREESPOOL, Nov 9, 2007.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Anyone been there recently? If I remember right, when the river was last at 8 ft above pool, I thought it was about the cutoff for using that ramp. I could be wrong though. It's at about 7 foot now. And forcasted to be at about 6.5 by tomorrow at noon. Don't want to waste my time driving there to check it out if it's dried up. And then add the wait to lock thru on top of that.
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I haven't been there in a long while but seems to me 7 ft was pretty much unusable.

Doesn't usually take all that long to lock through the auxiliary. I think you are probably wasting your time going to the ramp. Especially if it is dropping further. Last time I went in those conditions there wasn't ANY WATER at the foot of the ramp.:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Save some hassle go to the Marina.

Try the bridge piers just on the channel ledge. Let me know what you see.

3. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Thanks Darryl. I won't waste my time driving over there. I'll give your idea a try before locking through. I've seen a couple other deep holes around I wouldn't mind trying out too. If all else fails, I'll lock thru and hit ole' faithful. :smile2::smile2::smile2: Like I have an "ole' faithful". :wink:

4. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Was just up there this afternoon, I put in at Columbia Bottoms and went up just in case it did a quick drop. Ramp looked good with enough water for now. Water flow slowed down from Monday when I was last out, there holding water at 27 backing up where the lower wing dikes on the Missouri are still underwater where "normally" at this St. Charles level they are all showing and well above water. That backing affects the flow below Alton as well and I noticed much slower conditions. Monday it was ripping.

5. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Thanks for the info. How'd you do today?

6. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I don't get how Lock and Dam 27 can do any good. I'd think by backing the water up there it would just build up a little in the canal, and then just route around and head down the chain of rocks.

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Don't know how they back it up down there, I only take the elevation readings from there and the differential will tell me flow for both. Works every time

8. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Where do you find the elevation readings?

9. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
  10. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Thanks a lot buddy. That links in my favorites now. Much better info than what I was using.

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    C'mon Dan, you're really not giving up the Ouija board now are you?:beat_plaster:

It worked so well for you!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

12. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Dan, here's my observations concerning the differential between tailwaters @ Alton and 27 pool is... below 1.7 water is slow and usually don't feed well. 1.7 to a little over 2 it's rippen and good conditions for feeding. Note: anything over 2 you will need to use the boat to pull the anchor.
    Today it was 1.39... very slow
    Monday is was 1.8... rippen

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    That was the best advice I have been given (or that I have hijacked out of someones thread) in a looooong time. Now we know how to somewhat predict the current flow before we hit that stretch of river.

Cool Stuff.

Reps to you Michael Jake!

14. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Hold up, work with me a second. A little slow here. Where are you getting those numbers at? (1.39 today) I thought I knew what you were talking about for a minute. But I went to look and couldn't find it. :eek:oooh: Durrr.

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Dan, click on the page he told you to click on. Then go to the ELEVATION reading. As of 7:00 tonight the differential was 1.35, which according to Michael is slow.

Oh yeah, jot down the two numbers and just do the math. Mel Price tailwater and L&D 27 (upper).

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    So Mike....I'm taking a shot in the dark here....I'm guessing the fishing was rather poor? Did you catch anything?

I to saved that link to my favorites...thanks!!!!

17. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Ahhh, I finally caught on. I was looking for the actual 1.39 number. Like I said before..... DURRRR.:roll_eyes: I just need someone to hold my hand every once and a while.

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Just so you know Dan........I was riding your coat-tails waiting for the explanation myself, I nkot tfo sramt meyslf :oops:

19. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Didn’t do any good on the blues, only set up on one spot below the dam and on one spot on the Missouri. Couple of small short strikes below the dam and that was it. Monday they hammered the bait taking pole down and keeping it there. Times like this calls for doing something different. Had my spinning pole along used for catching bait as well as a few minnows for skipjack or … the elusive river crappie. Haven’t been back behind Maple Island in a couple of years so… I’ve caught a lot of crappie in my life, but picked up a new PB back there… sweet
    As far as the elevation measurements it gives a good ball park picture of what to expect. Have found currant fast and slower depending on what the two points are passing thru but the measurement are consistant with flow. Have done good down to mid sixties up. Nada below 1.63 from my records, not to say that one can’t do well, just blues and currant feeding habits have consistently kept our poles bent. Under slow conditions I’m cruising more to find fish trying to pattern any location or bait association. This year water level on the lower Missouri has been high since mid winter. My best honey hole is still filled with sand due to high water over the top of the wing dike not allowing it to scour out. With the level reading at St. Charles presently the wing dike is normally well above water… not now… guess that’s why I monitor the three points so… below the dam is usually plan B for me but this have spent some awesome time there.

20. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    In case you guys didn't notice this spring the had big backhoe's at the ramp on Maple Island and dug it all out and cleaned it up some.. It should be useable just about year round now..