Manual or automatic transmission?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Taliesin, Jul 20, 2006.

Manual or Automatic?

1. Manual

2. Automatic

3. Don't matter to me

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok... I know almost all of us drive. Which type of transmission do you prefer? Manual (stickshift) or automatic?

For me it has to be a manual. It's what I was brought up on, get's better gas mileage if you drive it nice, breaks down less often, and costs less to fix.

2. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I like to drive standard although I have not driven a standard transmission in like FOREVER!!! I think they are really fun. But I drive a automatic!!!

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

to me it doesn't matter I have driven both and they both have good and bad quailities. My wife however HAS to drive an automatic 2 cluthes in 5 months is to much work on a fat man. It was cheaper to buy her an automatic than replaceing clutches every other month.

4. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    It really does not matter to me. I enjoy driving a stick and have no problem with automatics, but my wife has to have an automatic. I'm not even sure if she knows which pedal the clutch is!

:0a23:

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have a bronco that is a manual, and i use it to pull my boat, but i hate it when it comes to pulling the boat up out of the water...It is a little scarey rolling towards the dang river when your trying to get the boat out of the water

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Depends on the vehicle for me...
    The Family car or truck, auto..
    Little sports car, stick (had a porshe that was a blast to drive)
    Hot Rod, Either, though I prefer a hopped up auto with a stall converter...

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I like an automatic for the family vehicle for long trips and manual on everything else.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    well after driving truck all my lifeI personally dont ever care to see a stick shift again I drive nothing but automatics in my pickups.

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I drove standard shifts for years but now I drive an automatic. I got past all that bull about pulls better and gets better gas milage. The new 5 and 6 speed automatic transmissions of today will get better gas milage and they have always outpulled a standard shift. With an automatic the more torque, the tighter the clutches get but on a standard, you'll either slip a clutch or tear out a universal joint. I have a diesel pickup and pull heavy loads with a 5 speed automatic transmission and I top hills a lot faster then some of my friends with standards who loose speed every time they shift. Price wise it costs about the same to fix either one now a days depending on how bad you've torn it up.

10. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i can drive anthing on wheels but i prefer auto trans cause its hrad to hold a smoke in one hand and a beer in the other and drive lmao just J/K about the beer

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Working on a farm 50 years ago it was proven to me that an auto would stand up better than a standard. I'm talking about pulling a string of cotton trailers. The clutch in the manual just wouldn't stand up. I've never bought but one vehicle with a manual in 50 years and it was a little Morris Minor that I drove to work. Also, never had a problem with any automatic transmission.

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like an auto but hope I never must buy another. Just had one put in my van 2,600.00

13. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I like either tranny and both have their place. For a family vehicle I prefer the auto, because the wife and I are usually driving it in town. As for my personal truck I prefer a stick. You can put the power to the wheels a little better with a stick. I have an old ford with granny gear and I can crawl along without ever touching the foot feed. Vern

14. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    AUTOMATIC!

I don't like shifting gears any more. We just recently got rid of my wife's S-10 because she was tired of shifting gears. No more manual transmissions for me.

15. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I like both! With the little engine in my car, the 5 speed is a must, but I get over 40 mpg. I lke the automatic, in my 4 wheel drive. It makes it easier for pulling my boat!

16. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've had more manuals than automatics, but the older I get the more I seem to like the automatics. I've had a clutch go out, but never had a problem with an automatic.

17. ahoki

ahoki New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    What can i say........ im lazy

AUTOMATIC

18. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I drive an Auto now, but I really miss my stick shift. It felt more like driving to me.

19. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I have drove both all my life. the older I get the more I like a auto even tho it costs more to drive and to fix. I have never tore up a standard but several autos bit the dust. with my little 4 banger, a standard is a must! good gas milage too, 25mpg on 4x4 :lol:

20. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Both are equal as far as likes and dislikes but you can always push start a manual trans.